Think I made a poor decision.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickPeck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I put a Mk25/G250v on layaway at my LDS, it was an impulse buy. I came back and did the research AFTER the transaction. My bad. I live in upstate NY and don't do any ice diving, but if I get under the thermocline the temps drop into the 40's.
While I didn't pay full retail the reg was fairly pricey.

Is this going to be a problem?

:confused:

If I'm not mistaken that is SP's top of the line first stage and and one of their better (if not best) second stages. What's the problem? Am I missing something? Sounds like you got a good deal on a great reg.

I'm worried about it freezing.

I also like the idea of a sealed first stage and followed the advice of the LDS owner to buy the MK25 rather than the MK17. The other sales person there said he prefered the MK25 too. I believe they were truely giving me there best opinion and advice. Good people, and I respect there advice. I just have doubts....

unless I am mistaken the US Navy has the MK25 certified to 37 or 38°F....thats pretty freaking cold....

I had the mk25 freeze up on me in 42 degrees with deco. I only use it for backup now and stick with all mk17's (I own 5). I wouldn't use a mk25 ever again in cold water.

I don't own a 25, but locally, I have seen several free flow in cold (below 42 degree) water.

I have a 17 on a deco bottle and have never had a problem with it.

The owner of the local LDS who sells the mk25's told me I'm crazy about them free flowing, but I have seen it for myself.

I don't own one, though, so I can only report what I have seen.

In MN here, the consensus around here is that the 25s are a warm water reg and local divers should use the 17s. That said, there are a few folks who dive the 25s.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been diving two MK25s for about a year and a half, in water down to 42 degrees, with no problems. They are really sweet breathing regulators.

My brother has 2 of them and he has had them down to 38 degrees a couple of times and we regularly dive in the low 40's... in fact, most of the time we're between 40 - 45 degrees and he's never had a problem.

In addition, one of our buddies also has an MK25 / G250 and he's never had an issue either.

Not that it matters a whole lot, but do you have the little metal heat sink on the second stage? It's supposed to help a bit but I'm not sure I completely believe it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom