Octopus vs Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Encounter Video

At first, I didn't want to watch another octo get beat up...glad I watched the whole thing!

Wow... Remind me not to keep a little further away from Octo's next dive...

Impressive!
Thanks for sharing that.
E. itajara

I get a RealPlayer dialog box that says it is unable to connect to the server with this message:

rtsp://149.48.46.6:554/wnet/nature/octopus/sharkT1.rm?cloakport=8080,554,7070

Any ideas?

Maybe you need to d/l the newest version?

This is to the PBS page rather than the video. Maybe the connection speed was wrong or something? You'll see the video link....

PBS page

I have Realplayer 7 but none of the videos will download for me...

Perhaps you folks could just explain what is happening in the video with the shark and the octopus.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I have Realplayer 7 but none of the videos will download for me...

Perhaps you folks could just explain what is happening in the video with the shark and the octopus.

They moved a giant octopus into a tank containing several sharks. They felt that it due to it's size and camouflage ability it would be okay in the tank with them.

After a while, the carcass of 3-4 foot sharks started appearing on the bottom.

They set up cameras to find out what was happening.

Showed the octo moving along the bottom hiding itelf. Then a shark cruised by just above it and WHAM! the octo wrapped its tentacles around it. Looked like a boa strangling it's prey...

Pretty interesting, words dont do it justice.

In the blink of an eye, tentacles flashed out of a crevice and encircled an unsuspecting shark cruising along. That 4ft shark was engulfed by Octo! None of the typical spinning action of the shark...the Octo had him grabbed and pinned fair and square and was dragging him into the lair.

They never said if the shark carcasses they had been finding had been eaten on or just killed. The big surprise was the apex preditor being killed by an invertebrate.

Very cool video!

Back
Top Bottom