Setting up a transplate....help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawineman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I just received my transplate harness and backplate but I'm confused about setting up the shoulder straps and pads. The instructions read a lot like "stereo instructions" and the pictures aren't very helpful. Do the padded shoulder pads touch the plate in the back and do you fold the straps under themselves or do they fold over themselves when you weave them back up to the top. Could someone forward me some pictures of a correctly put together transplate harness especially of the shoulder straps and where all the weight retainers are supposed to go and such?
Thanks,
Sean

Thread the upper webbing onto the BP.

1st side-

Thread on a tri glide (weight retainer), position at top of BP.

Thread on upper shoulder pad retaining loop.

Thread on inflator hose retainer.

Thread on lower (furthest from the BP) shoulder pad retaining loop.

Below the lower shoulder pad retaining loop, thread on one side of tri glide, thread on D ring, thread other side of tri glide. This extra D ring is not absolutely necessary, but the tri glide is, as it locks the shoulder pad & D ring with the QR in place.

Thread D ring with the quick release attached.

Fold webbing over the top of existing webbing.

Rethread webbing through tri glide (D ring).

Thread on another tri glide, D ring combination. This D ring only has one layer of webbing through it.

Move the original tri glide, (the one near the top of the BP) up to the retaining loop of the shoulder pad & thread the remaining webbing through this tri glide to lock the shoulder pad in place.

2nd side, repeat operation.

Now you have to adjust the webbing & shoulder pad for fit & the hardware for the proper positioning. This will be a pain, have fun.

SCUBA Diving Equipment and gear for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPlate Harness

Hey Thanks....so....the first triglide that gets positioned at the top of the bp gets moved down when you rethread the webbing back towards the top which locks the top of the pad? or do you add another triglide at the top loop to lock it then weave the remaining material through the first triglide? Sorry, don't mean to confuse. I appreciate your help
Sean

Sorry I forgot a step (inflator hose retainer) so was editing while you were writing.

Hey Thanks....so....the first triglide that gets positioned at the top of the bp gets moved down when you rethread the webbing back towards the top which locks the top of the pad? or do you add another triglide at the top loop to lock it then weave the remaining material through the first triglide? Sorry, don't mean to confuse. I appreciate your help
Sean

Not sure exactly what you mean.

After you have threaded the last D ring, move the tri glide at the top of the BP up to the upper shoulder pad retaining loop then thread the remaining webbing through this same tri glide to lock the shoulder pad in place.

Just keep asking, if I can't explain it in an understandable way someone else will.

scubawineman, i went through the same problems understanding the instructions myself. Kern is right on in his steps. Just be patient with all the adjustments. And don't cut the belt webbing until you are SURE you know where you want your buckle (right side?) and leave some extra. You can always cut more off, but you can't put it back on.

Guess it is a little late, but if you ask they put it together for you...at no charge. I have no idea how to put it together, but I could take a picture of mine for you if you need it. Good luck!

Guess it is a little late, but if you ask they put it together for you...at no charge. I have no idea how to put it together, but I could take a picture of mine for you if you need it. Good luck!

Hi, Thanks...that would be cool. I thought it would come all set up...my bad for not asking. A pic or two of the straps and where the retainers are located would be great.

Sean

I'm not sure how much these will help, but I'm afraid it's the best I can do. Not sure what you mean by retainers...I'm not up on the assembly lingo. Tell me where it is or what it looks like and I should be able to find it. I also had another idea... I'm not sure where you bought it, but scubatoys is usually really good at helping. They'd probably help you by phone or e-mail put it together.

252690978_QkeP8-XL.jpg

252691011_h9PNb-XL.jpg

252691040_avBp6-XL.jpg

252691104_xvcAz-XL.jpg

I'm not sure how much these will help, but I'm afraid it's the best I can do. Not sure what you mean by retainers...I'm not up on the assembly lingo. Tell me where it is or what it looks like and I should be able to find it. I also had another idea... I'm not sure where you bought it, but scubatoys is usually really good at helping. They'd probably help you by phone or e-mail put it together.

Hello Andrea
1st up, you seem to have a transpack, not a trasnsplate. For the sake of the exercise however, rigging the harness, once the webbing is threaded through the BP everything else is the same.

By retainers he means weight retainers. These are also called tri glides & are the small metal pieces with 2 slots that keep the D rings in place.

What he really needs is some good shots of the shoulder harness that will show the details of the tri glides & D rings on the shoulder straps. Especially the tri glide near the BP ( in your case the soft pack) that locks the upper shoulder pad loop in place.

Andrea, the way you have your shoulder D ring set up allows no adjustment of the D rings position & I know from experience that it's too low to hang stages from. Of course if you are only ever going to dive singles & never sling a stage or pony this is of no consequence.

Hi Andrea, Yeah..Kern is correct, I have a trans plate, (have a trans pac too but it's all set up). Just a thought looking at your trans pac though...looks like you may still have the plastic retaining screws holding your wing to the trans pac. I'd suggest getting the more durable aluminum or stainless screws...stronger and have a better life expectancy. Thanks for all your pictures, Sean

Back
Top Bottom