Destin Jetties Dive Report 2-10-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Made my way out to the Destin Jetties today (2-10-08). The drive over from Pensacola was beautiful with clear blue skies. I got to the parking lot a little early and decided to check out the jetties. The water was brackish which was disappointing as this was supposed to be a dive at high tide. It appears that the tide prediction tables were way off, probably by at least two hours or so. GlenFWB arrived soon after and we waited for Suprbugman and jimdiverman. Bugman and jimdiverman were running a little late from their springs dive so we left them a message on bugman’s cell phone and headed out. We entered and decided to just check out the point of the jetty and not venture too far. Hit a max depth of 35 feet, water temps 60*, visibility a crappy 5 feet. There were lots of different kinds of crabs in the nooks and crannies of the rocks. After about 35 minutes we decided to surface to see if the other group had arrived. We were greeted to bugman and jimdiverman gearing up as we broke the surface of the water. GlenFWB and I did a 10 minute surface interval and then decided to just stay shallow and check what we could see. By this time the current was starting to build and it became quite noticeable. After about 20 minutes into the dive the visibility was getting worse due to the setting sun and the particulate being stirred up from the current. We decided to surface and call it a day. Upon surfacing Bugman reported a good amount of sand dollars in the shell bed. I am looking forward to checking this site out more when we can get the tides right. I will call scuba tech, a local dive shop, later this week and get some information on how the tides are running plus or minus of the predictions lately. We changed out of our gear as the sun set and had our post dive debrief at McGuire’s, which was a perfect end to a full weekend of diving. Here are a few pictures I was able to salvage from the dive:

IMG_00015.JPG

IMG_00034.JPG

IMG_00089.JPG

IMG_00316.JPG

IMG_00436.JPG

IMG_00445.JPG

IMG_00544.JPG

IMG_00612.JPG

IMG_00621.JPG

Like has already been said...current and visibility made for a less then ideal dive. For those who know the Destin Jetties, we only went as far as the metal box before turning back. Visibility was only 5 foot and less in some places. The buoy in the channel was laying over toward the Gulf when we walked down to the beach. We knew that the tide was already going back out....but, the dive was still enjoyable.

As we all know...."A bad day diving, is better then a good day working."

Because of the water conditions and my camera settings, I did not get any pictures underwater worth sharing. I am posting a few of the pictures above the water.

DivingDestin.jpg

DolphinCruise.jpg

The picture below was taken at Navarre Beach around 1 pm, looks like we should have dove there.
NavarreBeach.jpg

Next time, we're putting someone else in charge of checking tide schedules :)

According to satlwatertides.com

Su 10 High 12:58 AM 0.2 6:31 AM Rise 8:28 AM 8
10 Low 7:30 AM 0.1 5:30 PM Set 9:23 PM
10 High 1:29 PM 0.2
10 Low 8:52 PM 0.0

Neap Tide means very little clear water insurgence and the high tide was for 1:30PM

D'Oh! :D :p

I went back and checked tides last night and saw the same thing....where did we get 3:30? I thought we posted the tide schedule and picked Sunday because of the time??? What a bunch of dorks!!!:dork2: Oh well, note to self....."Double Check Tides!"

It was still fun to get a couple of short, low viz, current ripping dives in!:D

Next time, we're putting someone else in charge of checking tide schedules :)

According to satlwatertides.com

Su 10 High 12:58 AM 0.2 6:31 AM Rise 8:28 AM 8
10 Low 7:30 AM 0.1 5:30 PM Set 9:23 PM
10 High 1:29 PM 0.2
10 Low 8:52 PM 0.0

Neap Tide means very little clear water insurgence and the high tide was for 1:30PM

D'Oh! :D :p

Had you guys gone at 1:30 I might have been able to squeeze in a dive with you. Were you just avoiding me? :D

Avoiding you.....we heard you were dead! :D Actually, there was a brief discussion about you at the after dinner dive debriefing held at McGuires...your ears must have been burning. Some good food....and good conversation.

Had you guys gone at 1:30 I might have been able to squeeze in a dive with you. Were you just avoiding me? :D

I've been almost dead after the two months watching the lab for my boss. She's trying to kill me now since I moved her cheese while she was gone :D.

I'm nursing a bad back too. I think the stress of work finally aggravated the thing into a huge spasm. My daughter (who works for a chiropractor) finally won the argument about going to her place of employment. I found out that I had fractured one of my spines when I was a teenager. The front part of the spine is slipping forward and pinching some nerves and stretching the disk. I'm back to about 90% now but have to be careful lifting for the rest of my life. I told the Doc about scuba and how heavy the gear is - he said be very careful!

Well, now you have an excuse...you take off work for "Hydro-Therapy". :D
I found out a few months ago my last disk disappeared....the next day after diving is a "pain", but oh well...it sure feels good while I am in the water. Plus, you got the Yoda Sand Yacht to help you out. Lets get something planned soon.

I've been almost dead after the two months watching the lab for my boss. She's trying to kill me now since I moved her cheese while she was gone :D.

I'm nursing a bad back too. I think the stress of work finally aggravated the thing into a huge spasm. My daughter (who works for a chiropractor) finally won the argument about going to her place of employment. I found out that I had fractured one of my spines when I was a teenager. The front part of the spine is slipping forward and pinching some nerves and stretching the disk. I'm back to about 90% now but have to be careful lifting for the rest of my life. I told the Doc about scuba and how heavy the gear is - he said be very careful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom