Mako compass mount and rotated handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Here are a couple more completed modifications of my scooter. The Tekna handle rotates it enough to make it comfortable to scooter for a good long run. The mount for the compass I made today, as it is hard to watch the wrist mounted compass. Hopefully this helps with my navigation in our low vis waters. I went to our local scrap yard and picked up a small piece of just flat stainless. Laid one of the original harness mounts on top and traced it out, then traced around the compass. I am lucky in that I have a plasma cutter, and whacked right through it. Since my main tool box is on loan, I had to break out...ugh hand tools. I do have a 6" upright belt sander and a small air grinder here though, but used my files for much of the finish work. The belt sander does make material removal extremely fast though. The compass is an Oceanic, one I started diving with before upgrading to a wrist mounted SK7. It is bolted to the plate, though the middle. The Tekna handle and all needed items to install it came from dpvrepair.com. There were a few complications with parts but everything was handled with professionalism. A++ They are highly recommended by me.

With a little work and a little too much time invested, this is what I wound up with.

Attachments

• Mako handle and compass mount.jpg
    Mako handle and compass mount.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 455
This looks great! I've been wanting a scooter mounted compass for my Gavin. After seeing yours, I think I'll give it a try too.

I just mounted a compass on the shroud of my Gavin. The trick was to mount it in a place that has minimal magnetic distortion that would throw off the compass. I mounted mine next and to the left of the trigger handle of the Gavin. It looks great and looks like it will work, I'll see how it goes on our next dive.

Doc, post a picture. Ryan needs to build something for his Gavin. I am going to swap my cheapo Oceanic compass for an SK7.

Nice Job! Any interference from the motor? Does the needle kick when you hit the trigger?

I'm currently out of town, but that's a good point. The needle is pretty close to true magnetic north with the trigger off. When I get back I'll test it with the trigger on and see if the needle gets affected. It it works, I'll post a photo.

Peter_C, when you dive it or have the trigger on, does the compass still point true?

Peter_C, when you dive it or have the trigger on, does the compass still point true?

My compass needle moves ever so slightly when on the trigger. In reality probably not enough to throw me too far off my typical zig zag course :shakehead: Mine is mounted at least a little ways away from the motor.

Last weekend I took my gals SK7 DSS mounted compass and mounted it on the scooter than had to promptly remove it, before she found out, as she wanted to go diving :D Oh well the mount had to be modified and that required removal, so the hard part is done.

Doc, got pics of your setup?

Doc, post a picture. Ryan needs to build something for his Gavin. I am going to swap my cheapo Oceanic compass for an SK7.

I mounted a compass right on the prop shroud, but it didn't work due to the magnetic influence of the motor.

I've got a large video camera mounted on the scooter now and have mounted a compass on the top of the video camera and it works very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom