Oriskany- Playing hookie on 2/8/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I called work and told them that if I had to come to work on Friday I would kill someone! They quickly made the decision to allow me to play hookie for the day and go dive the Oriskany.

What a great day! We had a boat load of Belgium folks - tech divers on the H2OBelow. We also had Gary from the Wet Dream and a student on board from South Dakota. This was tropical water to all of these folks. It was a blast. It is amazing now much funnier a joke about Walmart is when it is told with broken English. Anyway....

The vis was okay - 40 feet. There was a muck line at about 60 feet that cleared nicely on the wreck. The temp on the flight deck was 59 but the temp at the bouy was 67. It was an overcast day but cleared to sunny and we actually got sun on our pale white faces. We were all surprised to see bigger AJs and Black Snapper than we saw just a few months ago. I looked in all the right places but could not find an octopus anywhere. Maybe the water is too cold for even them.

The marine life has greatly increased this trip (my last visit was 1/12), either due to the lack of other divers or the time of year. It was wonderful to get on the Oriskany with so few other divers. The tech divers were down deeper and Gary, Marta and I had the whole wreck to ourselves.

Thanks again to Captain Douglas - what a great trip for the H2OBelow and the guys at MBT who once again did an excellent job of getting folks from thousands of miles away on the Oriskany. :blinking:

Great report, 40' of vis is plenty enough to enjoy a day underwater. Temps don't seem bad at all, bet the tech divers enjoyed that 67F water on their shallow stops!

It was a great day and we were the only ones who even cared about the water temps and vis. Belgium water is much colder and much less vis on a daily basis. It was great - They were so funny! A fun time was had by all in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend.

Nice dive report, sounds like a great way to take the day off. I am disapointed to hear about the octopus, I hope the little guy comes back, always fun to see creatures like that.
:monkeydan

Nice dive report, sounds like a great way to take the day off. I am disapointed to hear about the octopus, I hope the little guy comes back, always fun to see creatures like that.
:monkeydan

The more research I do, the more I believe it is a water temp thing and not that they have left for good. I'll let you know next trip down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom