Chevron and Pete Tide 2/10/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OMG! I have been told by tons of people that the Chevron was a great dive but I had no idea. It was my third day of diving in less than 70 degree water and honestly I gave some thought about not going. But thank goodness I did. Andreas and I dove on the H2Obelow with Captain Douglas, a crazy group of hungover Belgiums and a tech diver class.

The basic stuff first. The Chevron is an oil/gas rig that was cut off and has been in the water for about 20 years. The growth is very cool. There was white coral and green coral like I've only seen much farther south. Very cool tropical fish. Andreas had his video camera and will post the pictures. Again we ran into the muck line until about 60 feet and then it cleared to about 40 foot vis. There were around 200 barracubas right above us and one octopus in a little hole in the legs of the rig. Good size AJs and tons of tropical fish. I was very impressed and will dive this dive with every boat heading that way.

The second dive was on the Pete's Tide. The water was a cool 62 and the vis was pea soup. Again it is a very cool wreck but the vis I think made me feel colder.

It was still a great day of diving on the H2OBelow and the hungover Europeans were a blast. Note to visitors - if you go to Rosie's in Pensacola and drink a lot of Hurricane's you will have a hang over the next day! Just because they taste like fruit punch, they are NOT fruit punch. These guys and girl were troopers and dove a good dive anyway.

The water is fine... everybody come on down! :crafty:

The Chevron makes for an excellent spearfishing site, its always loaded with marine life. Its like a stone's throw away from the Oriskany, it'd make for a good dive to pair up with the big boat.

I don't know what is going on with the Pete's Tide but the viz was like that all summer (crappy). It is a very cool dive when you can hit it with good viz, but for some reason it hasn't been happening lately.

You're right. A totally cool wreck and great fish but the viz? crappy. Must be the placement. I don't know.

Walter - you would totally love the Chevron. You should have been there. Hopefully next time. We need your pictures. Wait until you see Andreas video. He actually remembered to take the lens cap off this time. HA! Sorry Andreas I had to tell it!

I wish I would have known about it sooner, but I had made plans for the Destin Jetties dive already. I have wanted to hit the chevron for a while. I can't wait to see some of the video. Last night I closed my eyes and imagined how cool the video of the YDT's would have been :D:D.

***note to self always check with dive buddy to make sure they open the lens cap to their video before jumping in :wink:*****

Andreas had a big test tomorrow so it might take him a couple days to get the video posted. You will love it! The coral was beautiful and the million barracudas were very cool. And you know how I feel about my friends the Octopus!

Back
Top Bottom