Just back from Jamaica, Cayman, Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just returned from back to back Caribbean trips. I got a 3-fer tour of Negril Jamaica, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Cozumel Mexico. My dad and I did 2 dives on each island. The first dive on Cayman and the first on Cozumel were both swim-through/Wall/80+ foot dives. Oh the joy and the rapture of weightlessness!

This trip was truly a father-son thing. You might not know this story ... 3 years ago my dad said let's do something really great together. We sat down and listed 50 things. Both of us kept coming back to Scuba Diving. Finally, we agreed that in one year's time we would be together on a tropical island diving together. I went home and signed up right away. Called him two weeks later to tell him about my cert and ask how it was coming - he never got past the physical - he had some serious medical problems. So he told me here's the deal - if I would personally certify him (keep in mind I have 4 checkout dives to my name at this time!) he would stop smoking and drinking, work out every week and get healthy. He did exactly that although it took 3 years instead of 1 while I followed the path to becoming an instructor though it took less time only 10 months.

Last week's trip was the grand culmination of these 3 years of hard work and preparation for both of us. Remember - I certified him at the end of the summer last year in California. He has since done a couple more dives with me. When the opportunity arose 2 months ago to jump aboard a cruise and see 3 of our favorite choices of islands we jumped on it.

We called the trip a "breakfast sampler" of scuba diving aboard the newly commissioned Carnival Conquest (biggest of the fleet) puts out of New Orleans. At his age and with his health declining he worked out hard in the Gym for 60 days prior to our trip to build aerobic stamina and strength. He said he never felt better. We built some fantastic memories on those 6 dives. We even had a videographer record our 2 Cozumel drift dives, he'll set everything to music and do some editing - I should receive the DVD in the mail in 4-6 weeks. If it is possible to get a clip or two or some stills from it, I'll send them over.

As for the "breakfast sampler" - here's what I learned. I'm convinced that I'm going back for a week to Grand Cayman within a year's time. When I'm there - I intend to dive my brains out. The variety and abundance of sea life was simply overwhelming. Everything was out and approachable - the reef was vibrant with more colors than anywhere I've ever been - alive and active. The walls were vast beyond imagination and that was only the south end of the island. Locals will tell you the East end is 2x better than the south and the North is yet again 2x better than the east. But weather must be permitting to allow for diving on those sides. I'm going to find out when to go and plan to island hop to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman too.

Even though the drift dives in Cozumel were effortless and the visibility was 125+ feet and even though Jamaica had the friendliest people, great plane wreck, and the most beautiful eels and crabs - in the end there was just something especially magical about Grand Cayman that compels me to explore with far more magnetism than any place else I've ever been.

To complete my list of places I have to go - hopefully I'll squeeze in one of these next winter: Australia, Belize, Aruba, and Hawaii.

You haven't dove the Caymans until you hit Bloody Bay Wall in bright sunlight. Congrats on a heart warming story. You probably added many years to your father's lifetime and many good stories to yours.

Wow! That is a wonderful and very touching trip report. Congratulations on the father-son dive becoming a reality. I think more fathers and sons need that kind of bond.

As for your diving reports they sounded awesome. In the morning my husband and I leave for Miami to cruise to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. I will be diving in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. and do a snorkel trip in Roatan. Belize I will not be in the water, but we are doing a river tour. My husband does not dive, but we snorkel together. I am excited to dive in Grand Cayman and I also look at this as a sample trip for possible future longer trips.

Happy diving to you and your Dad.

What a great story about you and your Dad! Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy more wonderful dive destinations together.

We're going back the East End (Cayman Diving Lodge) in 2 weeks. After diving the North walls and the west side, my husband took me to dive a day on the East End (his favorite). I'm glad it was the last day of that trip because after those 3 dives there's no way I'd have gone back to the other side of the island. This will be his 3rd trip in 3yrs and my 2nd.

On your next trip to Grand Cayman, try and dive a couple days with an shop on the north shore (like Dive Tech at Cobalt Coast) and a couple with a shop from Seven Mile Beach area who'll do west and many a reef on the south west, and a couple days on the East End (either as a "walk on" with Cayman Diving Lodge - they include a good lunch in the price of the 2 tank am dives, or Ocean Frontiers). Experience all the diving in Grand Cayman and decide what you like best.

Awesome! What a great story-brings back some good memories about my father-he introduced me to snorkeling when I was 6!

What a beautiful story! I love it.

My own father took very ill the past year. He is still with us but will never be the same. Your story is a great example of how good it is to spend quality time with those you care about: you never know what the future holds.

It would be the greatest blessing if he and I could dive those remaining spots on the list together. We've never connected on many levels - but we've always had sports. One of my favorite things to do in the universe is watch an American Football game with him. But now after all these years we have this active and participatory aspect to our relationship - scuba. And with the time left reduced I intend to make every minute count.

Thanks very much for all of your warm thoughts, and experiences with your own fathers, and your diving suggestions! Make every minute count!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom