Tips for underwater metal detecting???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips for underwater metal detecting? Future father-in-law is loaning me a machine - not sure which model but I think it's a Fisher.

Looking for general tips - planning on doing this with a buddy on dives specifically for using the detector in fresh water - targets are recent items like coins, watches and rings.

metal detector, but I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express:wink:

Most of the places you would find such objects are where there are heavy concentrations of people in or over the water. Beach areas and piers or docks.

Also you may consider man made lakes that have covered homesites or small towns. Locate these on maps and charts and then start some diving operations there and mark locations to use the metal detector.

Also find out about using metal detectors on land. There is info about where specifically to search around old home sites.

Thanks jbd,

I've already identified a location that I want to dive with the detector - does anyone have any specifics like best way to mount the detector, search patterns, buddy interactions, etc?

has a metal detector that is small enough to be held in the palm of your hand. Not much bigger than some cell phones.

I would think that using the same search patterns that are taught in search and recovery classes would be all you need.

You might have the buddy that is not using the metal detector manage direction and distance traveled in the pattern.

Fisher makes several types, pulse induction and VLF? VlFs are difficult, they produc a variety of sounds on anything and it's difficult topinpoint with them. The biger the head the more area you need to fan.
use criscross patterns once youhave heard the ping of a target. Bring a sall shvel or a sift bucket, Kellyco sells them by e-mail. get your dive buddy far from you , or his gear will ligt up the metal detector. never work with PI and VLF side by side, they drive each other's circuitry crazy.

Thought I'd kick start this again since I'm thinkning about buying one.
Scubaroo, did you ever take it out/find anything?

is to try to follow an imaginary line then double back about 5-6 feet to either side. I pay close attention to under water "pot holes" and dig every target.

If you want to conduct a serious search, run 100' of cave line with anchor loops to shove a screw driver thru into the sand and conduct a creeping search.

I dont use any digging impliments, I just fan the silt sand and rocks away. Havent hit the muther load yet, but I did find a really cool tool crib tag in a local quarry.

:spaninq:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom