Lobster in Boca Raton?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNADS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I recently moved to Boca Raton, Florida. My buddies and I do some diving off the beaches around here, we've been looking for lobster under rocks and ledges, but haven't hadn't had any luck. Are there any lobsters off the beaches or do I need to go out to deeper reefs?

It is a late in the season to find lobster near the beach. Not to say they are not there just not too many this time of year. I found that it is good to check the inshore reefs after several days of rough conditions. We got 10 in 45 - 60 ft on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprise to find a couple near the beach.

Lobsters don't live in Boca! They all moved to Delray! :D :D :D :D

I think this time of year all the lobster are in Hollywood!!!! :crafty:

Hehehe, for real though, keep looking there are plenty of big lobster near the beach in Boca. Fl-diver put it nicely, check for them as soon as the water clears up after rough conditions this is a time when they will frequently migrate inshore.

Nads and I have been free diving mostly a little north of the Deerfield Pier. Maybe it's time to explore a little. We haven't seen one damn lobster but knowing they are out there makes it better.

Nads and I have been free diving mostly a little north of the Deerfield Pier. Maybe it's time to explore a little. We haven't seen one damn lobster but knowing they are out there makes it better.

Ok maybe with couple of helpful tips we can change that :D.
First what time of day are you going? I usually do my best at first light when the sun is rising. Most of the time I do much better at first light than later in the day.

Where how are you covering the reef? I always have had much better "luck" looking into the first reef (east to the front- beach on my back) while working north and south, this generally holds true for all reefs parallel to the beach as the structure will be more defined (not filled with as much sand) while you are facing east (offshore) on these shallow reef/ledge systems parallel to shore. Don't overlook shallow ledges in the 1-2 ft range they are great for holding lobster especially if they run deep.

Also, don't overlook structure closest to the beach even if it is shallow (6-10 ft), it is one of the best natural interfaces (its like having a fence on one side :eyebrow:) Again, coverage n-s or s-n while looking east (beach to back) under the first shallow ledges are a very good bet. You will also find yourself covering much more area in a shorter period of time this way.

Hope this helps!!! :lotsalove:

On 2/9/08 I was in Boca on the dive boat Diversity (Force-E placed me on this boat).
On that afternoon dive 2 of the 3 divers came up with a total of 4 lobsters and the other 6 lobsters. Sounds like you need to get aboard. Barbara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom