Sigma 17-70 Wide and Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Okay the Sigma 17-70 does wide and macro, which should put it on par with a 60 Macro, with exception of speed and likely some sharpness. How practical is it to use a 17-70 for wide and macro?

I notice the Ike port chart calls for a dome and there are notes that vignetting will occur if you use a flat port. The Ike Nikon port table does suggest that the 5510.28 on a Nikon will work with some vignetting.

From my reading I've noticed its either macro or wide angle, but not both. Does anyone have a reason. I ask because I'm just starting to research and understand what I will need to dive with my camera. Using a single lense seems to offer:

1. No need to choose macro or wide angle, after all when the unexpected shot comes along Murphy sides with having the wrong setup.
  2. Having one rig that can do both would be less expensive initially. As money and experience increase nothing is lost by aquiring additional stuff, likely a 60 macro.
Next question would you shoot flat or dome? Depending on the vignetting I'd be tempted to go flat, easier to travel with and I suspect better for macro.

Thoughts...

No, it won't be on par with the 60mm as the 60 does 1:1 and the Sigma doesn't. The Sigma is very sharp, especially in the centre, and it's a great all rounder lens when you don't want to make a decision.

Yes, a dome port is the way to go with this lens.

Check here for wide...

Wide & macro...

For all practical matters a lens like the 17-70 would need to be used with a dome and port extension. You will also need a diopter (most likely a +2).

For anything other than 50-70 range the macro port would not work.

With a DSLR you really are going to need at least two lens minimum, but starting with the 60 is quite practical. The 60 and maybe the 10-17 Tokina would be a good place to start (for Nikon users).

FWIW I don't use a dioptre with my Sigma 17-70...you'll likely have to double check with your housing manufacturer to see what they recommend.

In a flat port you will likely lose a significant portion of the range of this lens.

Yep, you can't get nearly the same magnification with the 17-70mm. It goes to 1:2.3 compared to 1:1 for the 60mm. Also, the flat port for the 60 gives you some additional magnification. Then you can add a woody for 25% more magnification. With the 17-70, I'm afraid to get too close to my subject. Either I'll scratch the dome, or I'll squish my subject - either way, somethings getting broken. The 17-70 is a nice lens for its versatility. I love my 60mm the most, though.

Here's a .25" long Wire Coral Gobie on a piece of Hawaiian Wire Coral. The coral was angled in and out of the image, which is why it is so blurred.

DSC_7398_PB.jpg

Here's a Spanish Shawl with the 60mm and a Woody

David-DSC_2582Edited.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom