Okay, I'm looking for a little computer advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the guys who were teaching the GUE class this past weekend really liked the Suunto Stingers. No doubt, they were in BT mode. More on that another time.

...But I'm in the middle of purchasing some of my gear, and I'd like to seriously consider staying DIR on this one.

You guys who are using BT's... How exactly do these work? Do they automatically start when they get wet? I assume they have depth guages built in? Are they downloadable so that you can keep an effective "log" of your dives? Do they show your total dive time, or your time at certain depths, or what?

What's the hot recommended model right now? Is it the Stinger, or did these guys just get a great deal on them? Anyone know the REAL differences between the Stinger and the Mosquito? $200 is a lot of dosh... What do I get for that additional money?

Lastly, I saw that the Suunto SK-6 seemed to be popular with these guys, too. What's the general concensus on the new SK-7? Recommendations between the two?

Thanks in advance...

I'm not DIR although I do lean that way with my equipment. I ahve a Stinger and really like it. I got a deal om it when they first came out. They seem to have gone up in price since then :confused: Does the Mosquito have a proper gauge mode? I know it has freedive mode but this isn't the same thing. The cheeper alternative is the Vyper. It'll do all the diving things the Stinger does but obviously is much larger.

I also have an Uwatec dive timer as a back-up. This turns on when it gets wet and starts timing when you submerge. You get a display of depth, dive time, temperature and max depth. When ascending you get ascent rate (as a percentage of max). The log is very basic (max depth and dive time for last ten dives) but useful.

Having a dive log that will produce profiles on a computer is a nice feature. It is mostly for interest sake but I think it helps when you are learning (at any level). I really like the Stinger for that. This is a cheaper solution: http://www.reefnet.net

I also have an SK7. Great compass. It works at much steeper angles than the SK6. Definitely get an SK7

I thought I'd add a postscript:

I have just done a little research on the Mozzie (my friend will be buying a new computer soon) and have found out about the freedive mode.

If you do a freedive for more than 5 mins (ie a scuba dive, unless you are Pippin Ferrara) then it gets upset, starts beeping and tells you to ascend. After one minute it goes into error mode. You will still get depth and time info (effectively gauge mode).

It will stay in error mode until you haven't dived for 48 hours.

There is no option to set the sampling rate so in free mode it will only record 45 mins of profiles.

This is all from the manual (all suunto manuals can be downloaded from www.suunto.com , there is also a pretty good demo) so can someone who has actually use the Mozzie confirm this?

nickjb once bubbled...
This is all from the manual (all suunto manuals can be downloaded from www.suunto.com , there is also a pretty good demo) so can someone who has actually use the Mozzie confirm this?

That's right.

A REAL difference between Stinger an Mosquito:
- Stinger has gauge mode
- Stinger has better housing and buttons (150 m / 492 ft)
- Stinger's profile sampling rate can be adjusted
- Mosquito has user replaceable battery, Stinger doesn't

Vyper is also similar to Stinger except it's bigger, doesn't have free mode and can't act like watch and the most important it's cheaper (the price is similar to Mosquito).

I have Mosquito and it's pretty good.

MonkSeal

Sea Jay,

I have the Mosquito, and I have a Stinger on order. The Mosquito as everyone has mentioned is not optimium in Free Dive mode, which is the equivalent to guage mode for these 2 computers. I borrowed a Stinger for a few days whilst waiting for my Mosquito to be returned under warranty replacement (should tell you something) and was shocked at the difference in the display size underwater. I was pleasantly surprised with the Stinger. I have beaten the daylights out of my Mosquito and know it is going to go by the wayside someday soon, plus it is worthless as a BT and it will error out if you violate its built in deco or go past 5 minutes in free dive mode. I guess it depends on what type of diving you ultimately plan to do, or do already.

Also, the Mosquito really doesn't pan out as a watch, if you are looking to be able to set an alarm if you are traveling. The Stinger has that function. And if memory serves me right, the Stinger is rated to 660 instead of 492, whereas the Mosquito is only rated to 330.

If you have to save money, get a Vyper (only if you can find an old one that still has switchable Units on it). If money isn't the big issue, get a Stinger, you'll love it.

The SK-6 is much lower profile than the SK-7, but I prefer the SK-7. First of all as nickjb said, it seems to handle a steeper angle before locking up. It has a larger display for quick reference and it really isn't a problem. Pull the rubber strap out, put some bungie through it and you are set.

A REAL difference between Stinger an Mosquito:
- Stinger has gauge mode
- Stinger has better housing and buttons (150 m / 492 ft)
- Stinger's profile sampling rate can be adjusted
- Mosquito has user replaceable battery, Stinger doesn't

Can you explain the difference between "Gauge Mode" and "Freedive Mode?" What do you guys mean when you say that the computer does or doesn't have a "proper gauge mode?"

The new Suunto DS3...it looks like a nice gauge, will have Suunto style downloadable profiles, and you can get the whole PC interface from jamiei on the board for $30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom