gear storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turnerjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK Guys, Here's the deal....

I'm not getting too much diving in at the moment due to one thing or another (work mainly), and for reasonable lengths of time my gear is sitting there doing nothing... so... I thought I would make some propper way of storing it. The initial idea is a work bench with

1. Bottle rack - as part of the lower structure make a horizontal rack with correct spacing for twinset etc..
2. built in place to properly hang BCD
3. place to hang loosly coiled regs
4. suitable draws to hold plenty of spare parts etc.. that I have
5. Plenty of shelf space for things like torches and reels

Now, I assume there are people out there that have constructed similar things... Anybody got any tips etc..

Jon T

About the only things I would include would be

• a small rinse tub to occasionally rinse out/soak your reg and other items.

Points to secure a bungee cord so you can secure your tanks in an upright position.

• And once you get this constructed, post a photo so we can see it!

Jon,

According to PSI (Professional Scuba Inspectors).

Scuba cylinders should be stored vertically for extended periods of non-use, with about 500 psi in them, just enough to keep moisture from seeping in. Not at full pressure.

ID

Turnerjd,

I have a closet-like stucture so I can hang my wet suits--and some verticle pegs on which I place my booties upside-down.

I also suggest you discard torches in favor of flashlights: they are safer to store. (That was joke!)

I do not have a waterproof "cabinet" since I dry and air everything out prior to storage. My guess is that a wet cabinet is begging for mold, mildew, etc....

Joewr

I tend to store my stuff in my closet in rubbermaid-like tubs. I hang the wetsuit and keep the drysuit in its own bag. The regs stay coiled in the tubs along with bc's, masks, torches, reels, and so forth. I have multiple tubs to aid in organiztion and transportation to and from dive sites. My tanks stand in a corner (upright). I have limited area so strategic storage is a must. And, the tubs come in handy for soaking things like wetsuits and regs on occasion, though a trusty bathtub works to.

Originally posted by jmsdiver
I I have limited area so strategic storage is a must.

I was hoping to combine a workbench for working on 'clean' things with the diving storage for exactly this aim. When I have built it; I will try and post pictures!

Jon T

My wife and I are new to diving and I have storage issues that need resolving. I was thinking about building something in my garage to store my equipment. I live in Florida and it gets pretty hot in the garage during the simmer I mean summer months. My question is, can the equipment (mask, fins, snorkels, etc) stand up to a fair amount of heat with out going bad or should I look into building something in a closet in the house? I would prefer the garage for space issues, but I don't want to be buying equipment every other year either.
Thanks
Dwaine

Hey Jon,

don't forget a place to hang your drysuit - and I personally like the idea of some sort of rinse corner where I can spray down my gear after diving - then leave it hanging to drip dry.

Dane

WetDane

I was thinking more along the lines of somewhere to store it properly after is has been rinsed, and left to dry in the shower. After dive is not too much of a worry - I have always had diving gear left to dry *everywhere*. Long term storage is more important

ID

Why vertically rather than horizontally? With 4 tanks to house, lineing them up vertically takes up more space, rather than a horizontal rack under the bench.

Jon T

I guess it has to do with the possibility of getting moisture in - not that it is going to seep in while in storage - but if there is any moisture - a lying down cylinder with allow this moisture to gather at the length of the cylinder, making rust a far more serious issue - if the cylinder stands - the moisture will gather in one small spot...
I foret where I got this from - so if someone can confirm it would be good.

I see about your long term storage - I understand that your living room is not a good place for your dry suit to hang? I guess I am very over bearing with myself... ;-)

Dane

Back
Top Bottom