Diving in Sharm with/without a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Razmataz78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yaeee! - I am going to Sharm to dive :D (In August :shakehead:)

As of right now I don't really have any equipment. I would love to buy all my own gear, but I will probably only be diving once a year (Denmark is cold!), so it seems a bit much.

I'll probably rent pretty much everything, but renting a computer alone at the dive centers in Sharm is something like 15 dollars a day (10 EUR at Sinai Divers). Would it be a terrible stupid idea to save some of my money and dive tables instead (2 dives a day)? Are the dives in Sharm typically square profiles? Does everybody else dive with computers (or on the DM's computer :no) ? - we will probably get our AOW, so at least some of our dives could be to 100 ft. Will they even let you dive without a comp?

And, yes, I do know that 12 days of diving with a 15 dollar rental fee everyday ads up to 180 dollars, probably enough to buy a cheap computer - If I didn't live in Denmark, where everything is so #¤%#% expensive (and buying form scubastore, leisurepro etc. is cheap right up untill customs get a hold of it). Computers aren't - by any chance - cheap in Sharm, are they? :wink:

I've been kinda wondering something similar. I'll be in Egypt in April for 15 days, but likely to only get one day of diving in at Hurghada. With that in mind, I'm wondering if it's worth lugging my reg and computer set with me through a 15 day trip, just for one day of diving, or just rent everything there. To me it's not about the money saved or spent, but rather the comfort of using your own equipment.

Dive gear isn't particularly cheap in Egypt, but if you should decide to go shopping in Sharm: There's an expensive but well stocked shop in the Naama Bay mall, and you could take a cab to Scubatec on the main road between Naama and Old Market. I think they do rentals too.

Or maybe you should consider ordering one of these: http://www.deepbluedive.com/product.aspx?id=11508

Try to talk to your local dive shop, they may find you a used computer or hire you one in less than $15 a day.
It is important to have your own computer during 20 something dives in such a short period - Don't trust the guide computer as he could be on a different profile from you.

Enjoy Sharem & the red sea. :)

Great to get replies! Thanks!

I am not surprised, that the dives aren't square profiles. But it is good to know for sure that tables aren't ideal (by a long shot) for the dives.

- Deepblue looks really good, they are a lot cheaper than the other European shops I know. I might just end up bying a computer from them (If I can't find a used computer)

- I know that it probably wouldn't be terrible dangerous to dive on the guide's computer. But - apart from being told not to by almighty PADI - I am not sure that I like the idea of letting someone else take care of my dive profile (I was actually a bit surprised last year, when I spend the first couple of days learning i OW never to dive on another diver's computer, and then being told by a guide that it was perfectly fine to dive on her computer - a lot of people seemed to do this and none of them was killed, which must prove that it is not dangerous :D)

Most dives I have done in the Red Sea were multi-level dives, so using the tables will not work.
If you cannot get a reasonably priced computer (Suunto Gekko for exaomple isn't all that expensive) at home, you could also try to by one 2nd hand in Sharm. I know that at least in Dahab there are usually a few dive professionals selliing theirs and buying new ones etc.

EBay is always a possibility.

I work for about half the year in Sharm and I would think that about 50% of divers don't have a computer - lots because they have only recently qualified. There is no real need for a computer unless you do Thistlegorm when I would really recommend one. I am a great fan of Suunto; I have a Stinger. Very good buys on Ebay from time to time so if you want one have a look there. Be sure to get a computer that does Nitrox - even if you are not qualified on Nitrox now I'm sure you will do sometime sooner rather than later. Hope this is usefull.

Back
Top Bottom