Lost my DC600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes...idiot, moron, everything you can think about me, I have already called myself. I was on a drift dive in Cozumel with some new divers. We're at the surface waiting to get on the boat. We're drifting behind the boat, as well as the boat drifting. Deck hand throws the line crooked and it starts drifting to starboard. Never turn your back to a drifting boat, right? New divers forget that right away. So being the well-intentioned moron I am, I take a couple suface strokes, grab the line and straigten it out. Everyone grabs on. My reward? The lanyard on my weigthed down Sealife DC600 Elite Set slides right off my wrist and...goodbye! One hour looking, time to move on in life.

I'm in the situation of looking to replace that same set for about $1,000. But with enough crying (mine, not hers) my wife might let me pop for another couple hundred. Stay with the DC600. Do you hate it, love it? What would be your next step up if you could take it? Any brand names you give me, I'll take to the appropriate threads for discussion. Thanks.

Wayne,
Ouch! Post on the Cozumel thread...maybe, long shot I know, someone found it from another group. If not, I think you parlay this misfortune into a Canon G9, then later a housing.

Wayne.......

Insurence......???????

DEPP Insurence Maybe????

So Sorry to hear of your loss.:(

I agree with the canon g-9

The Canon G9 and it's housing would cost around US$600 here (if the dollar is still what it waqs last time I looked!:D) pretty hard to beat....

Must suck though. I keep my set up on a rope dog leash that a converted into a lanyard. I don't unclip it until I have one hand on the ladder.

Yes, I posted on the Coz site. Folks will be looking for it. No trip insurance. Homeowners will cover but at a $500 deductible, it's not worth have a claim on my policy. Funny all of you should mention the Canon G9. That's exactly what I've been looking at. I can get the Canon G9 along with the Canon housing for it for $600 USD. However, I've read some bad reviews about the Canon housing and fogging. Of course the Ikelite for the G9 is $539 by itself. Thanks for the advise.

I feel your pain. My first dive trip with my older Canon A520, on a wrist lanyard, unweighted, in 80ish feet of water in Saba, I managed to somehow move in a way to pull my wrist out of the lanyard. Saw the camera about 15' above me, decided NOT to bolt for it (I like my lungs), and just wrote a few choice words on my slate about it.

Amazingly, the dive leader - Big Mike from Saba Deep - knew the current and wind patterns well enough that when we hit the surface and got unmoored about 30-40 minutes later, we were able to find it in less than 15 minutes bobbing in the waves, none the worse for wear. He not-too-pointedly gave me a longer backup lanyard to keep attached to my BC at all times in addition to the wrist strap for the dives that followed. :D

Personally even at about a grand I'm not sure I'd spring for insurance for most PnS rigs, at least not without external strobes and the like added. If insurance runs you $150 or more a year, in only 2 years you've paid more in premiums than the devalued value of the camera itself. A dSLR with Ike housing (or better), ports, strobes, separate lenses, etc, that's definitely worth insuring though.

I doubt insurance will be that high! I insure a whole boatload of camera gear - dslrs, housings, strobes, compacts, batteries, synch cords, video systems etc - and it's extremely reasonable and well under $500 (I don't really know how much exactly, I haven't looked at it for a while, but I'd remember if it was higher than that.)

Call them, find out what they say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom