Thinking of buying Canon A720IS with canon housing, do I need weights and Desiccant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of buying Canon A720IS with canon housing, do I need weights and Desiccant?

Is it very positively buoyant? If so what do I need to add as far as weight and does it go in the housing? Where do you buy weight?

Do you keep a Desiccant pack inside camera to keep lens from fogging?

$361 from Amazon is best price I have found if anyone has better price please let me know.

Thanks Scott.

Where else can I buy both housing and camera besides Amazon and maybe with a warranty?

I would buy some dessicants packs. Its better to have some and not need them than to go on a trip and wish you had them. They're cheap. I use them every time and don't worry about whether or not I'll have fogging.
Go to Preservation Station and buy the 2g re-usable packs. They change color when they need recharging.

David

I reiterate what AUTiger said. The dessicant packs are a no-brainer to ensure you don't have fogging problems. After I starting using the dessicants, I've never had a fogging problem, although I did before. The 2 gram size from Preservation Station will fit inside your case; I've had two different Canon cameras with Canon housings and the packs fit fine, despite the snug fit between the camera and the case. Be sure to store the dessicant packs in an air tight container, because they will go bad (soak up moisture and change color) just sitting around your house and especially in a tropical locale if the humidity is high.

Thanks for the PM!

The guys have the dessicant covered.

I don't use weights with my housing. Some people do. Personal choice. Depends on if you want your rig to be negative or positive. Positive doesn't bother me; it drives some people up a tree :wink:

PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping Beyond Compare is a good starting point to find prices.

I like B&H, buydig.com and beachcamera.com - usually don't need to go much further than those three but there are tons of options. If it seems too good to be true, it is.

I haven't found any reason to use the dessicant packs with my A720IS because I've never had a fogging problem from excessive heat or anything else. I keep the camera/housing out of heat and direct sunlight before dives, and keep it in water between dives to keep it cool. If a bucket of water is unavailable, I put the camera/housing in a reg bag or under a towel.

The camera with Canon housing is very positive, and unless you have weights, just like any other positively buoyant camera, it's harder to keep the camera steady and level underwater. I cannot stand to have one that is so buoyant it floats up on me when attached to my harness. The cheapest way to weight the camera is to buy 13 or 14 fender washers at the hardware store, one stainless or chrome-plated bolt, and one stainless lock washer. Screw the bolt with washers into the tripod attachment underneath the camera housing, and you'll have a cheap, but working solution. If you lose the washers at some point in time, they are very cheap and easy to replace.

You can also buy the Canon weight system, which is too expensive in my opinion, or make your own weight system by cutting and drilling some small steel plates, which distributes the weight more evenly underneath your camera (not a big deal or necessary though).

Check out the two links below for pics of homemade weight systems:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tips-techniques/211173-made-my-own-camera-weight-system.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3067538-post30.html

You will like the A720IS!

Scott,

I've used mine both ways (with and without weights). Don't know if I have a real preference either way. Canon weights are ridiculously expensive. You can also make one for next to nothing by going to a fishing store and buying a 3 or 4oz flat lead weight (those with an eye loop at the top). Clip off the eye loop and then drill a hole through the weight and use a stainless or chrome-plated bolt and a stainless lock washer to mount the weight.

Haven't had to use a dessicant pack yet but might be better safe than sorry.

I bought my camera and housing through Amazon. It was the best deal at the time because the free shipping more than made up the price difference from other sellers.

Not an expert on this, but I assume if you use a tray with a strobe the expensive weights might not attach as intended. I just purchased it's smaller brother on Amazon for 285 dollars (combo) to use with the Inon system, tray, lenses and strobe I already have. Looks like a smoking deal. I suspect these cameras are on closeout or something because they are 7MPand they probably are about to be replaced with an 8MO or 10MP if that matters to you--it does not to me because the size range of prints etc I intend the 7MP is plenty--considering the price.

Just ordered the Canon A720IS with canon housing from Amazon. Cannot wait to get it :Dand practice in my 125 gallon saltwater tank before my Bonaire trip in April!:D:D:D

I've used a Cannon SD550 for years and it is great. Never had problem with water, fogging, or anything. Taken some great pictures with the regular flash on the camara.

Back
Top Bottom