Turns out that diving is safer than driving a car!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
So much for my little yellow Miata! :icoeek:

While driving back from Vortex Springs on Sunday, I ran into that nasty bunch of thunderstorms in southeast Alabama. It was like Armageddon out there! Torrential rains, 70mph winds. I had to wait it out in a gas station for an hour, because winds like that would have thrown my car off the road.

Anyways, the storm passed and I proceeded on my merry little way, only to lose control of my car on Hwy 231 outside of Montgomery. In my defense, my tires weren't all the great, and the roads were wet. Texting on my cell phone while driving probably didn't help matters either. :shakehead:

I wound up spinning the car around a couple of times at 70mph, running off the road into the soft shoulder, and plowing into the woods. All I remember is shutting my eyes tightly, screaming, stomping the brake, and thinking to myself, "This is really going to hurt when I stop".

When the car stopped, I opened my eyes and was amazed that the passenger compartment was still intact. A quick once over revealed that I was pretty much uninjured. I got really, really lucky! The Miata fit in between two trees. I scraped the right side of the car onto a tree, and the left side had about two feet to spare. The undercarriage of the car was caught on a huge fallen tree, and that's what absorbed the impact. I turned out to have a cervical strain, and a bruised sternum and shoulder. At least I get a couple of days off work! (bad way to earn a vacation, though)

The car is totaled (bent frame, broken rear axle, and a ton of body damage) and I had the rather unfun experience of getting me and all my scuba gear back to Tuscaloosa.

Moral of the story: The drive back and forth to the dive site can be far more dangerous than the actual diving! Also, Miatas and trees don't mix well, and from now on, I'll pull over if I feel the need to text message while driving.

BAD GIRL.......

Texting while driving!!:11:

I am very happy to hear you are going to be okay though.

Car wrecks are no fun, My last one crushed the entire left side of my body, Cut the car in half starting from drivers door first.:shakehead:

UC Davis did a great job of rebuilding me though!:D

Well..... Now you get a new car.,....:D

Having owned three of them (one of each generation), I can say firmly that Miatas are GREAT, but impractical and dangerous cars... not dangerous themselves persay, but just that people don't see you... I avoided an accident or two daily from people wandering into my lane or some such.

Glad to see you didn't get hurt, Miatas total out very very easily because there's not a whole lot to them in the first place.

Where were you carrying scuba gear?? I had to let my tanks ride shotgun in my miata, that's why my wife ended up with it, and I got a truck :)

Glad to hear you made it out well enough, sorry to hear about the car though :( I've had my fair share of accidents and none of em were fun, despite, luckily, always coming out uninjured.

ShagMan, I was actually able to fit my AL80 into the trunk (very, very carefully!)

I did my best to turn that car into a truck...one time, I managed to fit a 6x9 piece of flooring on top of the passenger seat! :D

I'll have to dig up a picture from the house; I put a 10" roll-up projector screen in one of my miatas... it went from teh passenger floorboard, up between the seats/rollbar, and out the back... I got some WEIRD looks when I picked it up at the FedEx office!!!

It is truly amazing what one can fit into a Miata...

When I finally get into cave diving, I was planning on pulling the passenger seat so I would have room for doubles and a scooter! :D

It is truly amazing what one can fit into a Miata...

When I finally get into cave diving, I was planning on pulling the passenger seat so I would have room for doubles and a scooter! :D

This might be blasphemous, but don't they make a trailer hitch for the Miata? :D

Here's one:

class_1_hitch.jpg

Mazda Miata Hitch - Aftermarket OEM Fit

Dave C

Glad your ok. Thats a bad way to end a good dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom