Hollis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meterman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
im looking to buy hollis backplate systems. i currently use a zeagle ranger bc with my wetsuit and drysuit but id like to get a back plate system to use with both but iv never used a packplate so i no not much about them. when diving my drysuit i have so much weight in my pockets of my ranger bcd i look like the pilsberry doe boy so i want a backplate to get rid of some of the pocket weight and have a little less drag .looking at the hollis products i like the elite sysyem/stainless plate but not sure what bladder would be best for me as a recreational diver.im not even sure the elite would be good for me. i also go to coxumel every year so maybe and aluminum plate would be a good idea aswell or should i just use my ranger bcd for the warm water dives? any advise? thanks

im looking to buy hollis backplate systems. i currently use a zeagle ranger bc with my wetsuit and drysuit but id like to get a back plate system to use with both but iv never used a packplate so i no not much about them. when diving my drysuit i have so much weight in my pockets of my ranger bcd i look like the pilsberry doe boy so i want a backplate to get rid of some of the pocket weight and have a little less drag .looking at the hollis products i like the elite sysyem/stainless plate but not sure what bladder would be best for me as a recreational diver.im not even sure the elite would be good for me. i also go to coxumel every year so maybe and aluminum plate would be a good idea aswell or should i just use my ranger bcd for the warm water dives? any advise? thanks

Hi Meterman,

Going away from BC's to bp/w systems will help eliminate some of the inherent buoyancy; and the good news is that you can easily use a BP/W for everything. Using a stainless plate (-6lbs) will certainly help add weight, and we also offer optional 10lbs QLR weight pockets which are woven onto the waist webbing and secured with a stainless bookscrew. So for the warm water dives where exposure suit is less thick you can add between 0-10lbs on each side, or remove the pockets all together.

We currently offer two singles wings: S25 and S38. Both of which would be adequate for using your drysuit or wetsuit with single tanks. I personally use the S38 for all my single tank dives whether it be warm or cold water/with drysuit or wetsuit. Probably more than enough lift for most single tank applications but i prefer having the extra lift.

To fully determine whether the Elite or any of the harness systems we offer are right for you, I suggest taking the time to look at them. Where are you located??

im in so cal. im about 5 min. from knotts berry farm. let me no where to go..thanks

Hollywood Divers are about a 30 minute drive and are at 3575 Cahuenga Blvd. The phone number is 323-969-9800. They can assist in showing you the full range of Hollis products including the Elite Harness and S38 wing.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

i called hollywood divers and they told me they have nothing in and there not sure what or if there going to order and hollis.
no of any others that may have anything?
my buddies shop (new england divers) caries aeries and says he may be able to get it hollis and i always see RAY BULLION the aeries rep in there , anyway he may br able to get some hollis items to show me?:confused:

i called hollywood divers and they told me they have nothing in and there not sure what or if there going to order and hollis.
no of any others that may have anything?
my buddies shop (new england divers) caries aeries and says he may be able to get it hollis and i always see RAY BULLION the aeries rep in there , anyway he may br able to get some hollis items to show me?:confused:

Hi Meterman,

Good idea. Hollywood Divers are putting together their opening order currently, but until they recieve it Ray can certainly be able to show you these items also.

I will PM you with his info.

Thanks,

Is there anyone on the Big Island with gear in stock that we can see and try on for size?

Lived in Sherman Oaks (101 and 405 intersection) and dated a girl in Huntington Beach (405 and 22 intersection) before moving down there. Think during that year I managed that drive in 45 minutes once. :shakehead: Hour to 1:15 is more likely, longest was about three hours ... :11:

Hollywood Divers (very good shop by the way) is past the 101/134 split another 10 minutes east of Sherman Oaks (if traffic plays along), same with the Knotts Berry Farm exit on the 22.

Usually getting past LAX is a pita, literally as you're sitting on it in traffic. Same getting up the hill to the 101. Taking the 5 to the 101 and driving though downtown usually isn't much better. :( L.A. traffic sucks.

The only upside was the old SMI shop being strategically located in Hermosa Beach, between the places I worked (West Side for most part) and lived (Huntington Beach). Lots of layovers to sit out traffic jams on the 405, always in good company, always learning something new. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom