LDS vs. FL Keys Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbest1991

Registered
Reaction score
Coming down to the keys in March for vacation and plan on doing a little diving. There are a few misc. items we need to pickup (weights, wetsuit, booties, etc.) My question is should I just go to my local dive shop up here in Reading, PA or should we hit a shop in the keys. I wasn't sure if prices are more expensive in the keys due to them being a popular vacation/dive destination. Any specific shop names down there would be helpful, I know there is a ton of them all the way down Rt 1.
Thanks

Coming down to the keys in March for vacation and plan on doing a little diving. There are a few misc. items we need to pickup (weights, wetsuit, booties, etc.) My question is should I just go to my local dive shop up here in Reading, PA or should we hit a shop in the keys. I wasn't sure if prices are more expensive in the keys due to them being a popular vacation/dive destination. Any specific shop names down there would be helpful, I know there is a ton of them all the way down Rt 1.
Thanks

Go to Divers Direct (Buy Scuba Gear & Diving Equipment @ Divers Direct), check their prices and compare your self. They are a pretty good indicator of the prices you pay in the Keys. There are some places that cost a bit more, and maybe some a bit less....but this is close.

It's always been my impression that scuba gear is cheaper in the Keys. :eyebrow:

Price markups aside, it may not be a good idea to assume that you will be able to find everything you need to dive, just by browsing shops on the fly. What you want may not be in stock, or in your size, you *waste* time shopping around, etc...

Although I cannot think of anywhere else with so many dive shops so conveniently close to one another. Perhaps snooping around local dive shops has an allure all to its own? I know that I LOVE browsing a particularly "earthy" shop in Big Pine, just to take in the ambience.:coffee:

My experience is there are several internet shops in the Keys that are significantly larger and cheaper than your typical land-locked LDS.

If you are flying down, weights will just be provided for your Keys diving and if you also need weights for diving in PA, buy them up there.

Also, your LDS might not have Keys-weight wetsuits in stock.

My feeling is that if you're only going to save a few bucks at most, buy at your LDS...keep them in business, you need them!!! I also do this with kayaking and bicycling equipment. If I'm going to save a significant amount, I'll shop the internet but for a couple of bucks, it just isn't worth it to me, I'd rather know my local folks are there to help me out when I'm in a jam...they know me as a customer and will drop everything to get me going if I'm having an equipment problem.

Thanks for the info!
We actually are driving down in an RV and have our own boat down there so we bring all our equipment with us. I would normally just swing by my LDS but being it's "off season" up here their hours are a little inconvienent. Just figured we pass a bunch of shops on the way down so it might be easier to get the little odds and ends down in the keys.

Thanks again.

Divers Direct/World Watersports @ MM 100. Probably no bigger inventory or cheaper prices, by and large, than 'most anywhere else other than Leisure Pro.

They also have a location in Florida City that you pass before you get on the overseas highway to Key Largo. You could hit them first. That way if they don't have something you need they can check with the Key Largo store to see if they have it.

Bring the essentials but don't pass up the opportunity to get some deals. If you have a preference on brand or something specific, buy it before you come down. You don't want to waste your time trying to find a certain size or brand of gear. A lot of the shops down there are geared around diving and not retail sales so they don't have a big iventory. Like the previous poster said though, make sure you stop at some along the route and look for deals. I always seem to find something I can't live without.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom