e900/ikehousing/help/strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi everyone

i got my first decent camera today, i bought a fuji f30 last week but i changed my mind when i found a great camera on ebay with housing and other bits and bobs, so i put in a bid and won and took the f30 back to the shop , it arrived today i got a fuji e900 with a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens for above water as well as the ikelite housing and tray with an inon ad mount adapter thingy for those under water wet lenses and i got a 2gig h xd card too all for 400 euros or so, i done really well and im delighted with them all because they are all in brand new condition

i was just wondering how u guys attach ur cameras to u when ur under water, this setup is fairly heavy and i have read some posts saying that these cameras can be a little negative, the guy i bought it from had what seems to be a shoelace tied to the tray and it is strong enough to keep the camera from going anywhere while im using it but is there any other way to strap it to me, like a stretchy cord or something just incase i dropped it, or is there something that would allow me to have my hands free if i needed them free in a hurry, im a new diver and i wont be bringing this camera with me on all my dives on my trip in a few weeks time but im sure that when i have a few days practice with it snorkling i wlll use it while on a dive or 2
any ideas and advice

I have a Fuji E900, Ikelite housing and D-50 with the adjustable arms.

The case has a wrist strap that I keep around my wrist at all times when I'm carrying the camera. I always hold the camera and don't attempt to attach it to a d-ring or any other attachment point.

A good friend did that with a really nice rig with dual strobes. He, and several others of us, spent a few weeks diving the area in which he lost it due to it's becoming detached. Fortunatley, he eventually found it . . . that would have been about a $3000 loss.

Anyway, my suggestion is that, if your rig doesn't have a substantial wrist strap, buy or fabricate one. Put it around your wrist and ALWAYS hold on to your camera.

the K

thanks k

the lace thing thats on it now is really strong and im sure it would be fine to use but im kinda worried it would interfere with me adjusting my bc because the power inflator is on the left too, perhaps i can switch the strap over to the other side or something
thanks for the help k
david

i got my first decent camera today, i bought a fuji f30 last week but i changed my mind when i found a great camera on ebay with housing and other bits and bobs, so i put in a bid and won and took the f30 back to the shop , it arrived today i got a fuji e900 with a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens for above water as well as the ikelite housing and tray w

I use 1/4 nylon rope through the slot in the base of the housing, and a Stainless Steel boltsnap.

Whatever you do, don't rely on any of those plastic coiled-cord things or anything with plastic buckles or snaps. I lost a brand new camera like that (we found it on the next dive, but it was pretty scary).

Terry

Oh, yeah, my wrist strap is a piece of 1/8" braided nylon attached to the strobe base. I guess I was sort of unclear when I said the case has a strap on it.

As Web Monkey says, don't rely on those paltry little rubber things that come with the housing.

the K

You will loose anything using a wrist strap, sooner or later.

I use a heavy coiled lanyard with a metal carabiner or bolt snap. I've carried many different rigs that way and it works pretty well.

Jack

I always use and recommend a coil lanyard with a stainless carabiner. The Cetacea CRL 12 is ideal, and of course I recommend a highly visible color, like the neon yellow, green or pink ones.

I always use and recommend a coil lanyard with a stainless carabiner. The Cetacea CRL 12 is ideal, and of course I recommend a highly visible color, like the neon yellow, green or pink ones.

Not to rain on your parade, but that's the one I was using when I climbed up the boat ladder and handed the captain a single SS boltsnap that was supposed to have my camera hanging off the end.

Once I cut off all the plastic snaps, all that was left was the coiled cord, so I tossed it and replaced the whole thing with 1/4" nylon rope.

Terry

I would go with the reccommendation of a rope with a carabiner or snap ring. That has the least possibility of failure. You could try a gear retractor, but take a good look at the attachment method and tripple check it before and after you hit the water. I had one on my camera and it came unhooked. Fortuneatly, it was positive, so I was able to reclaim it at the surface.

i have an ikelite housing so i dont think i could trust the small black peices of plastic that have the holes in them for the strap on either side of the housing back, the plastic parts cover the steel hooky plates that the camera closes onto, the steel hook parts are strong but the plastic covering them doesnt look the best

would it be safe enough to have a peice of nylon robe or something similar attached to the tray so i could attach the camera to my bc when im not using the camera or when im getting in and out of the water? the tray couldnt break away from the housing could it? thats all i could see wrong with having the longer robe attached to the tray,ill use the shoe lace on my wrist when im using it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom