Canon A720IS Underwater housing weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjride

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We just received our new Canon A720IS camera and WW-DC1 Underwater housing. Can anyone let us know how important the Weights are? B & H camera was out of the weights when we ordered the camera. it sounds as though we should get them, but was curious what others have found. Any info would be much appreciated.

Tom and kim

We just received our new Canon A720IS camera and WW-DC1 Underwater housing. Can anyone let us know how important the Weights are? B & H camera was out of the weights when we ordered the camera. it sounds as though we should get them, but was curious what others have found. Any info would be much appreciated.

Tom and kim

I think these threads might have the answer you are looking for.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...anon-housing-do-i-need-weights-desiccant.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tips-techniques/211173-made-my-own-camera-weight-system.html

I ordered them, I don't want it shooting to the surface just in case.

Thanks Rickg for the info. This what I was looking for.

Tom

Tom,

Your welcome. Also FYI, if you decide to buy a weight it doesn't have to be a Canon weight. I believe any housing weight designed to mount on the bottom of the UW housing were you would mount a strobe base will work. I was using a weight from a friends Oly C5050 on my last trip and it worked just fine.

Here's the other side of the coin. I lost a $1,000 Sealife DC600 Elite set in Cozumel three weeks ago because I had weighted the camera. Waiting to get on the boat after a drift dive, didn't properly secure it, and goodbye, we were drifting right of the channel and it slipped into the abyss. Camera, housing, strobe, all of it.

I will never again weight down a camera. I've heard of positively buoyant cameras coming lose and then recovered at some point at the surface. But very few that were recovered intact or recovered at all going down, especially in a current. I'd much rather look for a floating camera than one bouncing and hiding along a reef system.

Here's the other side of the coin. I lost a $1,000 Sealife DC600 Elite set in Cozumel three weeks ago because I had weighted the camera. Waiting to get on the boat after a drift dive, didn't properly secure it, and goodbye, we were drifting right of the channel and it slipped into the abyss. Camera, housing, strobe, all of it.

I will never again weight down a camera. I've heard of positively buoyant cameras coming lose and then recovered at some point at the surface. But very few that were recovered intact or recovered at all going down, especially in a current. I'd much rather look for a floating camera than one bouncing and hiding along a reef system.

Ouch!!! and good point about the benefits of having positive bouyancy

Back
Top Bottom