Key West Accommodations Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary over the Christmas/New Years 08 week by taking the whole family to Key West. There are 11 of us (only 2 are divers) and I’m looking for suggestions and recommendations as to where to stay. We’ve never been there and are not at all familiar with the area. We want beachfront or very close, more upscale than not – the Hyatt/Marriott/Westin class of hotels. It’s a mix of adults and kids so the access to activities varies from pool/beach lounging to snorkeling, parasailing, jetski etc. Of course, two of us will be diving our rear ends off.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

We’ve never been there and are not at all familiar with the area. We want beachfront or very close....

Aint really no beaches in the Keys- especially Key West. Some places like the Hyatt have little fake beaches, and there a few public beaches that are very small here and there. if you want waterfront the Keys are great, but don't equate the beach with Key West.

Now if you are looking for hard drinking bars, beautiful old houses, free spirits, fascinating history, and great fishing you are coming to the right place.

Call Becky, you will Love Kawama, the place is great and quiet.

Its my Keys home :) from Orlando :)

The Captain

Thanks all - I've been looking at VRBO. Just got a call from the parents and they're looking at Westin's Sunset Key Cottages - I guess they're looking a bit more upmarket than I thought ... I've got my fingers crossed...

Not to knock any conchs > IMO <

As said if your doing Key West Go first class other wise you will find no class!
There are no real beaches-and the fake ones with sand barged in from the Bahamas when I have been near them in KW has a odorous aroma of some mix of sea weed and something like red tide mixed with sewage & the folks staying at the several ocean front hotels for big bucks must love it!
As said Key West is for site seeing-old homes-locals-hard drinking- more locals ( booze Cruise's a must do)-and a trip down to see the gathering at sun set,cat's with six toes-and chickens running around oops! they cooked em all.
after that get out of dodge.I like the mid Keys area and several up scale resorts like
Florida Keys Resort & Marina - Hawks Cay Resort - Luxury Resort in the Florida Keys, Fl.
as more of the hotels left in the Key's are diver and fisherman friendly and a bit rough around the edges to some folks but not me! I have my secret Mom and Pop places to stay at that are great!
you may do well with a private rental
and do get to the mid Keys like islamorada
Welcome to The Islamorada Chamber of Commerce - 1-800-FAB-KEYS - Sport Fishing Capital of the World
stop by Robbies for a ICE COLD beer and feed the tarpon
Robbie's of Islamorada: Offering the widest diversity of recreational marine activities in Islamorada, Florida Keys - Offshore, Backcountry and Partyboat Fishing, Boat Rentals, Guided Tours, and Tarpon Feeding.
The best two bucks spent in the Florida Keys=I coined the phrase when it was a buck!
for diving and of course Key Largo
And of course a Fish Sandwich at Craig's at Tavernier is a great start to any Keys trip or on the way home!
Craigs Restaurant, Inc, Tavernier | MyTravelGuide.com
Just my 2 cent's and I been told I don't know a dam thing! Ha Ha!
Have fun I am down in a month,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom