My Gear is Gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior2725

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I went out to my car today to discover that my gear had been stolen. My canon 20D, 5 lenses, 580ex speedlight, 5 cf cards, and ikelite housing is GONE. Well the good news is that everything that was stolen except my new tamrac 5263 rolling camera/computer bag, and my gps system is covered by insurance. Hopefully the process goes smoothly. I think I am going to opt to take whatever money they offer and start from scratch with my gear. I guess I will take advantage of the situation and upgrade to the 40D. I'm sure it will cost me some, but look at the bright side right? What are your thoughts about the package for the camera and 17-85mm lens or the 28-135mm lens? Or should I just get the body and then buy any lenses separately. It doesn't make sense to me that the kit with the 17-85mm lens is almost $300 more than the kit with the 28-135mm lens.

kit lenses tend to be OK for topside but not-so-great underwater.

For my underwater I will need to get the same lenses I already had, as I still have the ports for them. I use the canon 100mm macro and the canon 10-22mm wide angle. The only thing as far as housing/strobes that I lost was the actually ikelite house. I still have my ds-125 stobes, 8in dome with extension for the 10-22mm lens, and the port for the 100mm macro. So those lenses are a given. I guess now I am reevaluating my topside lenses. Previously I had the 18-55mm kit lens, 70-300mm IS USM lens, and 50mm macro lens (all Canon).

Man, I am sorry to hear about that! I just got insurance on all my gear about a month ago. It definitely helps with the peace of mind. I hope you cash in on some cool goodies!

Sorry to hear that. What kind of insurance? Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Man, I am sorry to hear about that! I just got insurance on all my gear about a month ago. It definitely helps with the peace of mind. I hope you cash in on some cool goodies!

Thanks. I'm trying to look at the bright side. This is a good opportunity for me to upgrade my camera. I'm just hoping that my insurance gives me decent money for my gear. They said that they contact the manufacturer and get replacement value costs and then base their figures on that.

I have the State Farm personal articles policy
All the stuff was scheduled on the policy with serial numbers? Did you have an agreed value clause?

All the stuff was scheduled on the policy with serial numbers? Did you have an agreed value clause?

Everything was scheduled on the policy except the new tamrac bag. So that means the bag is not getting replaced anytime soon. Also, I lost my gps which has nothing to do with my camera gear - I'll have to save up for a new one. I provided all the serial numbers for everything when I got the policy. I provided the values of each item and the claims lady that called said that they contact the manufacturers for replacement value and that they would not pay more than my provided numbers even if the replacement value was more. I have to wait and get the police report on Friday or Monday - as soon as it is available, then fax it over to them. I guess then I will just have to wait and see. Cross your fingers.

I think that you'll be fine, I've always used a scheduled policy on my homeowners policy and in 30 years I've had two claims ... they were not handled quickly, I had to stay on them, but in the end they were handled fairly.

Don't kick yourself over the delay, if you'd had DAN insurance they'd still wait for your homeowners to come through because their coverage is secondary.

Your GPS may be covered on your regular homeowners, did you buy it recently with a credit card? Sometimes there's secondary coverage there too.

Back
Top Bottom