First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scorpenesub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, am looking to buy my first DPV. Have done some research in the market, i've come to the conclusion that the serious DPVs are not just expensive, they are also bulky and heavy, not the kind that would allow you to travel abroad with. :(

The smaller ones, however, like SeaDoo, are lightweight and cheap :blinking: but realibility is a question. But since I am looking to buy two units, one for my wife who is my buddy, the question of reliability is thus addressed. Two is always better than one, rite. :D

Can any one who have experience with lightweight DPVs share their experience? I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Thanks.

Johnny :coffee:

Hi, am looking to buy my first DPV. Have done some research in the market, i've come to the conclusion that the serious DPVs are not just expensive, they are also bulky and heavy, not the kind that would allow you to travel abroad with. :(

The smaller ones, however, like SeaDoo, are lightweight and cheap :blinking: but realibility is a question. But since I am looking to buy two units, one for my wife who is my buddy, the question of reliability is thus addressed. Two is always better than one, rite. :D

Can any one who have experience with lightweight DPVs share their experience? I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Thanks.

Johnny :coffee:

Ultimately it depends on the type of diving you anticipate doing. The X-scooter is pro. quality scooter which is light enough to travel with. However, it'll set you back a lot.

The other scooters you've mentioned may be ideal for just putzing around. Personally, having used faster scooters from the start, moving to something that is less-than is always a disappointment. I was teaching an intro. to tech class and had three scooters for the students to use. 2 were less than $500. The other was a Gavin. Ultimately, all the students fought to use the Gavin, and passed on using the lesser-than scooters completely.

X

An X-scooter or mini-gavin is comparatively light (about 35 lbs for the X scooter) but the cost is high at $3500-$3700.

The Seadoos do not impress me at all, especially the less expensive models.

The Mako and earlier Tekna scooters offers lots of performance (the Gavins, X-scooters, etc use the same basic motor prop and shroud design) for not a lot of cash. New, a Mako costs about $2400, but used a Mako can run anywhere from $600-$1300. Tekna scooters tend to sell for a bit less and are reported to have a bit more power due to a differences in how the motors are wound.

The Mako and Tekna scooters can also be readily modified and upgraded for more depth (down to about 200'-240', more power (about $300 to rewind the motor) and more reliability (AJ clutch, new relays, etc) although they are quite reliable in their stock configuration.

Weight wise, a Mako is about 50 lbs, so the penalty is about 15 lbs compared to an X-scooter.

Personally, I ended up buying a used Mako in excellent condition with an AJ clutch and modified relays for $800.

I am not sure the 2 is better than 1 argument works for the Seadoo scooters. At least one is likely to quit and the other is guarenteed not to have enough power to tow two divers and a dead scooter any significant distance.

Many thanks Mr X and DA Aquamaster for sharing your experience.

Can I have more comments from members please? Your experience will help me make the right decision. Thanks.

Mr. X first sentence is your thought of the day.

Deep diving it moves you around to use less air.

shore diving and dive site is a far place to reach.

You can kick almost as fast as a scooter, but you will eat your air up.

They are fun to play on, but that wears out in one dive.

So far besides deep and far distance, help pulling back 30 to 40 pounds of fish you just speared,
and letting a diver use it for the first time(he usally does'nt buy one now that the thrill is gone),
there like any other scuba toy, Maintenance, flooding, replacement.

My recomendation is gotta have one, why not.

I'll add one more thing to the expense and reliability issue as indicated by VooDoo.

The less-than scooters always seemed to develop some problems electrically, or mechanically. After a certain point in time they just became a bother. The next year I taught the intro. to tech the less-than scooters were inoperable and no one took the time to salvage parts, or rebuild.

That being said, the strategy of buying a used MAKO would give you a very "workable" scooter without having to pay mucho dinero for a brand new unit. I have three scooters presently. The MAKO that I have is almost as fun as the X-scooter and only 15 lbs heavier. However, traveling with it is not a reality. With the X scooter (and its dedicated case) I always end up having to pay airline overweight charges. Makes the scales at just over 50 lbs.

Cheers,

X

btw- as mentioned my tech students were always able to out kick the less-than scooters. They said "why bother?"

I have no experience with the "less than" scooters (I like that phrase). But, I do own an X and can say it is worth the money. Anything you want to travel with will need to be right around 35 pounds because of the weight of the case you'll need to use with it. I think the cheaper sea-doos use SLA batteries still, which are pretty heavy.

IMHO, if you are going to do it, get the right scoot from the get-go. You'll use it more, and get more enjoyment out of it. I have ~50 dives on my X so far an it has been a champ. After diving it, I would only trust a technical grade scooter, diving with them is complex enough that I wouldn't want to throw reliability out the window. Being half way out and into your dive and having a scooter crap out can be inconvenient at best.

Thank you VooDooGasMan, Mr X and dsteding for your helpful insights.

You can get a couple used Makos for <$2000 USD. They would be fun and work well for you and your wife (who I assume is not an East German body builder type lol). Or get a Mako and an X. If you do that you'll probably want a second X about 30secs into dive 1. For women, diving, and fun you really wanna go lightweight. <50lbs. The seadoos and similar are certainly lightweight but you'll need a divorce lawyer if one ever floods or just doesn't charge for whatever reason. Cause #2 scooter won't be able to pull a second diver. You also won't be able to dive with other scooter owners cause they will be doing donuts around you while you scooter and kick trying to keep up.

My DB and I have the seadoo explorers. We like them, and they move us along at a pretty decent rate, even with our drysuits. The xscooters are nice but are so expensive...

A new seadoo explorer can be picked up for $500-600. They are rated to 160', so if you are going deeper, you might get pushed more towards an X.

Back
Top Bottom