Moving to Atlanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robjcamb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller :D

Question for you.. that you might have an opinion on... I'm moving from the UK to Alpharetta/Atlanta next month and need to continue getting my fix of diving in! At least the water is a bit warmer over this side of the pond so I might be able to leave my drysuit behind! I'm BSAC qualified but from what I've read this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

But.. I'll need to research a bunch of new sites to try (thinking some of the springs in North Florida as well as the usual lakes), and I need some new buddies to dive with. Is there anyone in that area doing anything? Or any tips on where to look out for groups/clubs?

Thanks!

Rob

Welcome to the 'Board, Rob, from another Rob! I live in the Florida panhandle, about a 4 hour drive from you. First, bring the dry suit. The springs in my area are 69 F. That may not be too cold for you, but after a while, you'll be missing it. About another hour south of me is the Gulf. Water temps vary throughout the year there, but there are some okay shore diving sites and some boat charters that go out weekly. Let me know when you want to check out some of the springs and I'll show you around.

robjcamb,

Welcome to ScubaBoard and to Alpharetta, GA.
Let me know when you get here and I'll introduce you the the finest Irish pub in the area.
I live in the Alpharetta area.

Come dive with us !!!

the K

Nope, that would be "The Irish Harp" off of Holcombe Bridge Rd.

the K

Welcome to Hotlanta.

My wife is from Southport (UK).

We do weekend trips to the Springs, and Jetties all the time now.

When you get settled let us know.

:D

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller :D

Question for you.. that you might have an opinion on... I'm moving from the UK to Alpharetta/Atlanta next month and need to continue getting my fix of diving in! At least the water is a bit warmer over this side of the pond so I might be able to leave my drysuit behind! I'm BSAC qualified but from what I've read this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

But.. I'll need to research a bunch of new sites to try (thinking some of the springs in North Florida as well as the usual lakes), and I need some new buddies to dive with. Is there anyone in that area doing anything? Or any tips on where to look out for groups/clubs?

Thanks!

Rob

wotcha Rob!:D

I too am a Brit living in Alpharetta. Normally there is some decent (depending on your preference) diving at Lake Lanier which is very close and almost free. There are also a number of other dive locations within 2-3 hours driving - lakes and quarries. 4-5 hours puts you in the springs of the FL panhandle and northern FL. 6-7 hours to the NC dive locations.

There is normally a very active group of local divers. Up until the drought we are having here really kicked in we dove Lanier almost every weekend. Right now its a bit quiet as there isn't any diving there right now.

When you get here pm me and I'll dive with you. There are a couple of good rugger teams here too if you play. I was with Old White for a while, who are Div II. There are the Renegades who are I think Div I. There is also a cricket league believe it or not, though I've never played and can't vouch for the quality of the playing. Its pretty much Indian and Pakistani's though, so I'm sure there's some demon fast bowling!

oh, bring your drysuit!

Welcome!

Yes, post up when you're settled. I am in the process of finishing cavern, check out dives at the end of March - we have folks that head to various FL springs almost monthly. We're south (maybe south east) of where you'll be but we would be on your way to FL anyways. We also have a free dive club meeting every 2nd Tuesday of the month if you're in the area and interested.
Welcome to East Atlanta Divers

Cheers!

Im starting to miss the mudpuddle,hope the water comes back up and warms some.Welcome to the area Rob,we should get started diving in this area soon,dont leave that drysuit home you will need it in Lake Lanier,summer temps are still in the 50s-6os at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom