Keys and Lakes suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robandliza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

I'm looking for some suggestions on booking some dives this August ( long way off I know but I like to be prepared!!!)

I'll be based in Kissimmee and am looking at a few dives in the Keys and also I'd like to do some Lake diving. I've already decided I will be doing the SeaQuest(?) at Epcot

I went down to Key Largo last Oct and stayed at the Marriott and dived with Its a dive. That was great but it was only me and the wife then, so she lounged by the pool whilst I went off diving morning and afternoon
This time we'll have our 8 and,by then, very nearly 7 year old boys as well as probably my 70 yr old parents
The plan will be to go to the Keys for 3 days and for me to do 3 x 2 morning trips so that I can be with the kids in the afternoons.

I'm looking for suggestions for places to stay which will keep my kids and non diving adults occupied whilst I'm away as well as being close to a good dive op for me
I have no reservations about going back to the Marriott but i think it may be too expensive for all of us ( if they offer 2 rooms at the discount rate I will certainly consider it!). I see that Ocean Pointe Suits has a deal with it's a dive for stay/dive package but is there a nearer dive op that anyone can recommend or somewhere else totally to stay/dive that is not too expensive

That's part 1 over with

I'd like to try diving some lakes. Which are the closest to Kissimmee?...I want to make it a day trip, no overnight stay

Any recommendations for that would be appreciated. I will again be taking the wife and kids who I hope can play/swim in the park whilst I dive ( not sure of my parents this time)
I would prefer there to be a dive op on site as I will probably pay to have an instructor/dive master buddy with me. I will also need to hire BCD,weights and tanks

I forgot to mention,I will be in Kissimmee for 3 weeks so got some time to play with and may do 2 lake trips

thanks in advance for any help

Rob

I actually stayed at Ocean Point Suites last August with my wife and young daughter and did three days of morning diving.
We were very pleased with the accomodations. It was a good value for the money. Nicer than a typical hotel room. There was a full kitchen with utensils and two bathrooms. While I was diving, my family went to their "largest pool in the Keys," as they advertise, to play until I got back. They also had a free continential breakfast that wasn't too bad, but I think they were discountinuing that. Ocean Point also had tennis courts, but it is extremely hot in August, so that isn't an option. There are other attractions in the area if they have the car while you are driving. I enjoyed a sanctuary for injured birds that is on the road between OPS and Key Largo.
I opted to go with Silent World as my dive op. They were fine. I have no other ops to compare with in the Keys. As I recall, it was about a 15-minute drive to the dive boat every morning. Not too bad.
I have nothing to offer regarding lake diving in Kissimmee. But you may want to visit the Everglades. I think they are close by. I don't remember exactly and don't have a map in front of me.
Good luck.

Thanks Skeeoos....sounds good for OPS and Silent World has many good posts on here so that is front runner at the moment
Regarding the "largest pool in the keys"...was it pretty big or is there a bit of artistic licence involved?...or are all the other pools in the keys tiny!!??

It just seemed sort of average to me. It isn't small, but I've seen many that are larger. I was left with the thought that there must not be any large pools in the Keys. :) It was fine. It was closed once or twice for cleaning, which was odd.
Keep in mind that an August trip to the Keys includes extremely hot weather (and not too many other tourists!!), so you will enjoy the chance to cool down. In addition, public beaches are few and far between because there is no sand. OPS has ocean access, but it is pretty terrible. There is a white gravel beach and about 20 yards of frontage, and the water is rocky, shallow and full of seaweed, so you'll want to stick to the pool.

Robandliza you may want to do springs instead of lakes they are usually much nicer and theres a ton of them north of you

Thanks again Skeeoos....a pool is a must for the rest of the family

Hi Rox....I actually want to do both lakes and Keys....staying in Kissimmee for 3 weeks and will pop down to the keys for 3 or so days.....if you could recommend the nearest Lake to kissimmee I would appreciate ( bear in mind I need to hire tanks and BCD and also a dive buddy)

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom