updates/Changes to 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am looking at some used regs for backups. Have there been any changes to the first stages in say the last five years or so?

Thanks,
-B

Last five years? No. The last change we made on the first stages was about 10 years ago. Why mess with a great thing?

So please elaborate on how the greatness translates to the SR-1?

So please elaborate on how the greatness translates to the SR-1?

That is what I was going to ask. I saw it at Our World Underwater and it seemed to be completely different. Nice looking reg, and I am sure that it performs well too. I do not know much about it but what I think it is supposed to be is a piston 1st stage without a the drybleed system, and is supposed to be a little easier breather at depth. Or at least the numbers are better for the Mags. It was light weight. There seemed to be a big difference between that and my Maximus regs.

Please if you could pass on as much info about it as you can. Again the above is just my observation from a short look at the reg.

Thanks
Phil

Last five years? No. The last change we made on the first stages was about 10 years ago. Why mess with a great thing?

IMO they took a step backward about 10 years ago when they went from the externally adjusted IP back to the shim method of adjustment. One change that made sense was when they went from the scintered filter which was integral with the dry bleed orifice to an easily replaceable foam? filter.

Sorry for not replying sooner I have been out traveling the last two weeks.

The SR1 has a totally different 1st stage. The SR1 is a Flow Through Piston with a completely dry chamber. It is balanced with a small diaphram that senses the ambient pressure and adjusts the piston as necessary to provide the proper amount of air down to the second stage. Thus far tests on the regulator have been tremendous. And those that have dove it have been very complementary.

The other models use a Flow By Piston and Sherwoods Dry Air Bleed patent. While it is an older technology, it is still a tremendous system that provides durabilty and reliabilty. There are very few regulators that last as long as the Sherwood's do.

Will the maintenance of the SR1 will be about the same appose to the dry air bleed and will most shops around the world will be able to get parts quickly and maintain these effectively just like the older styles that we are accustomed too? The price fluctuation for this new sr1 is just of a few dollars higher to maintain right?

Yes, the maintenance on this regulator will be about the same. It is a dry 1st stage so there should not be any corrosion. The 1st stage has a few more parts. The parts will be readily available. The Sherwood Scuba network of dealers has not changed. This parts kit will be slightly more expensive because there are more parts in the kit.

Sherwood Scuba

I have questions in two categories:

1. Does the dry air bleed system act to let the first stage know how deep it is? If so, is it a function of water pressure on the rubber seal at the exit port causing the air pressure on the head of the piston to increase as the diver goes deeper, thereby increasing IP at depth? If not, what is the system's function? What effect does this system's being inoperative have on the diver?

2. What is the function of the five belleville springs on the moving orifice? The only thing I can see is that it can make this unbalanced regulator act like a balanced reg as tank pressure goes down.

I thank you in advance for any light you can cast on these subjects for me.

TF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom