Need info on Puerto Plata Dominican Rep.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstone84

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic in March. First Class Divers is the name of the dive operation that the resort uses. Has anyone been there and is there any good diving? I am used to diving in the Gulf of Mexico and I'm sure the diving must be better in the Dominican Republic. However, all I have seen on this site is that the coral is dead and there is not very much fish life.
Please give me any info you have on the Puerto Plata area and it's dive operations.

Thank You!
Greg :confused:

Ditto to me, I am going to PP Bahia Principe Last of Feb, I have no clue about operators..any info please

Hey guys,
I just found this site for First Class Divers in Puerto Plata. They run the dive operation at the resort I am going to. It has a lot of info on the dives offered in the area and some pictures.(Who knows if they are actually from the dive sites themselves.) Seems to be a good outfit on it's web site anyway. Let me know if you find anything else. http://www.sportextreme.com/phdoov2955
:)
If anyone knows anything about this dive operator you have valued information!

I am from the Dominican Republic.... Where you are going is the north coast, I assume you'll be around Sosua. I have never dived with Northern Coast Diving (I've heard they are quite good) nor with First Class Divers, because we usually use boats owned by fishermens of the zone.
The diving is not the best of the country, but there are some good sites there. I usually go spearfishing, so I go to non-protected areas with not much fish, but there are really nice protected areas.
If you want, tell me what kind of diving you do (resort diver, kind of newbie, deep diving, wrecks, etc.) and I'll try to answer any questions you have... I usually dive kind of deep, also when not deep we mostly use nitrox.... not trimix here tough but hey, it's almost here!
Hope you have a pleasant vacation here, anything, PM me, or ask...

Thank you DomRep,
I am kind of a newbie but from what I understand the visibility on a lot of these dives is pretty good and that is really all I am looking for. I just want to get a few dives in when I am there and relax. We will be near Sousa, do you have any reccomendations?

gstone84:D

Hello, I just got back from DomRep yesterday. I dove with Gri-Gri divers in San Juan they are quite close to Sousa. I had a good time and saw lots of good sights. I am sure DOM Rep diving could steer you to others as well. I had a great time there at Bahia Principe they have a booth at that Hotel.

Good Luck

Their site is www.grigridivers.com

I just got back from Sosua. We dove with NorthCoast and the only dive we did worth any mention was the two tank day trip to Rio San Juan. Very good visibility. The usual fish, plus lobsters, crabs, a few eels, a few stingrays, some swim throughs. Your surface interval is on a remote island that has to be seen. The rest of the dives were not so good--garbage, dead reefs etc....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom