Moving to West Palm Beach -maybe- any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
I may be faced with the opportunity to move from Sunny Southern California to Sunny West Palm Beach. This probably isn't the best forum for this type of question but SB is a community of people I trust.

So, any advice anybody could give me on living there? I am considering the cost and logistics of buying, renting, and the general cost of living. Coming from LA not much surprises me anymore regarding cost of living! I suppose I am primarily looking for compelling reasons not to move I think. My girlfriend and I are both young, and not connected strongly to LA so you tell me, why not!?!

It sure looks like the diving is top notch, and the water looks toast at 64+ degrees. Like a bathtub, wohoo!

IMO my 2 cents!

Oh the water is more than 64 in winter low 70's.vis can be awesome! when the trade winds lay down in the winter good diving can be had!

Not sure what you do for a living but I have had the privilege to work/live winters in WPB area as a equipment opp for local 3rd gen Floridians and wow its a blast!

Property has dipped it is kind of a buyers market from the over inflated prices Realtors and speculators drove it too back a while and deals can be had.

Rentals are every were and I would rent as there are good areas and bad-do your home work its like any busy area but Florida is the land of dreams and scammers-they say so may thousand move in daily and more move out!
If you have work great if not well there are lots of folks in the same boat-The locals and I have been to lots of areas of the country but local Florida folks at least the ones I know and worked for were great! and not too many folks are real Floridians!!!

I rented a cottage 1 br- 1ba on a estate absentee owner -great area with short term lease $600 a month with my own parking and yard 2 blocks from the beach-utilities same as home.

I like the no income tax but my state clips me at tax time any how-food- fuel is the same, traffic its busy as my banker told me stay off I95 !

So if you have work in WPB man I think you will love it! if not take a week or two and check it out as there is work in some areas but pay can be not up to par with your cost of living.

And diving / fishing is great!I had to work some Saturdays but after lunch it was fishing or diving and Sundays the same!
Good luck as I am sure some local locals will chime in TOO ,
Brad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom