P&S Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Just as a generic question, what is the concensus concerning the manufacturer supplied housings such as from Oly, Canon, Fuji etc? How do they hold up in actual use, how do they function within their range of 0-130 feet? What types of care/preventative care is wise and prudent?

I now have a Oly770SW and Oly housing and Canon 570IS with Canon housing. I think the Oly housing is better made and has real stainless clamps, the Canon seems to have a better designed seal, both are a bit light duty but seem adequate for the intended use, any thoughts?

The Fantaseas look good but they are only for Nikon and seem cost effective and of high(er) quality, Ikelite is rugged ands sturdy and can be rebuilt and look/feel professional but cost twice the price of some of the cameras they are made for, any thoughts?

I suppose if I have a 150 dollar camera like a Canon 570/590IS I might not be willing to spend 300 for an Ikelite housing but if I had a Nikon P5100 or similar then maybe I would--how do you who have been using these cameras think about this?

N

I really like my Oly housing. It's small, light, has a threaded port, and adequate depth for rec diving. I have never had any problems as far as leakage, but buttons tend to get sticky with age and salt water exposure, and the shutter release button spring is a little wimpy. Mine needed replacing after a year, as the button wasn't returning at depth causing the camera to lock up. I even had to make a tool for pulling the button out when it stuck. Having the housing serviced (at almost the original cost of the housing) brought it back up to snuff and I haven't had any problems since.
I think if you have or plan to have multiple cameras, or perhaps move up, Ikelite might be the best option. You can transfer all the ancillary parts and strobes from camera to camera, brand to brand. They're robust, offer unmatched service and have an excellent interface system if you use their strobes. I think that's the biggest downside, you're stuck using Ikelite strobes if you want to use their housing strobe control systems. I wish they'd broaden their interface to include other brands.

I could not have said anything better---agree 100%......after shooting a S&S MM II for 12 years, the Canon housing is a little 'lighter' but for the money.....I care for it the same way as I did my MM II--grease the o-rings and keep them clean, no problems so far........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom