Questions on LED 500 Lumen Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been looking for a light that can do double duty when I need a powerful topside light, and also a dive light. This light certainly seems to fit the bill. I'm not looking to use this topside on a daily basis, more like at a dive site for gearing up/down, maybe for hunting on an annual basis.

A couple of things I saw in the manual however gave me pause:
Dive Rite Owners Manual:
Caution: Exercise great caution when using the light out of the water. The light is designed primarily for underwater use. Water serves to remove heat from the LEDs. Excessive heat can damage the LEDs. If the light head begins to feel exceptionally warm, turn the light off. Avoid looking directly at the LEDs when the light is turned on.

Bulb life: 10 to 15 years if used underwater with water temperatures no warmer than 75 degrees Fahrenheit
This seems to indicate that this is not a good choice for topside use, but seems to directly contradict this quote from the Dive Rite Web Site:
Dive Rite Web Site:
Heat-sinked for proper heat dissipation, the flashlight can be used on land as well as underwater creating the perfect light for dry cavers, hikers, bikers and other sports enthusiasts that need a high powered light that is usable dry or wet.

So to the questions.

How fast does this light overheat topside, and how much damage or life loss do the LED's suffer when used topside?

R the LEDs' replaceable?

What mAH rating was used to obtain a 12 hour burn rating at full power?

Thanks!

From my experience in the emergency services realm and our emergency lighting... LEDs don't give off heat, thus shouldn't over heat. The last a very long time and draw little battery power.

Hope that helps.

B.

Thanks,

From my experience from using the OMS Vega, they overheat easily. It depends on how they are clocked so to speak. If they are driven at normal rates, they are fine.
What I've seen with UW lights is that they push these lights to gains Lumes, and then they can heat up.

My OMS Vega gets quite hot if I use it topside for more than about 20 minutes.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your inquiry. The website is correct...the LED 500 is heat sinked and can be used in or out of the water without a problem. The manual was written in the early development of the light when we were not certain of the heat sink viability. Due to your astute post, we are now updating our manual...an oversight on our part given the fast development of the project.

If I can help any further, please let me know.

Best,
Kathleen

Back
Top Bottom