simple weight belt info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InGearX

Registered
Reaction score
per: How To Use a Weight Belt for Scuba Diving | eHow.com

Step 1:
Put on the weight belt just before your BC and tank.

Step 2:
Lay the belt on the ground, inside facing up and buckle on your left side.

Step 3:
Step over the belt so it now lies behind your heels.

Step 4:
Bend forward, pick up the belt by the buckle and loose end, then place it on the small of your back.

Step 5:
Stay bent over while buckling the belt in place.

Step 6:
Stand and put on the rest of your gear.

in compliance with the "right-hand release protocol" (?)

this is how you do it?

With the buckle coming from your left side a pull to the right with your right hand will release it so yes, this is in compliance.

In step 4 I'd rather do a deep knee bend to lift with my legs. Having it right behind your heels makes sense so as to avoid having an overhung load on your body. Somewhere in here you learn to do a little bit of a swing that lets pendulum action do some of the work. It's a little like learning a dance step. It's simple but needs a little practiced coordination.

More often than not I am gearing up from the back of my van and the belt is laid out so I just back up to it and swing it up to the small of my back like step 4 but with less of a rise and not much bend at all and continue from there.

If I'm out of my usual situation I usually hold the tail in my right hand and swing it up behind me so I can grab the buckle in flight with my left hand, then bring it to the small of my back and then lean forward to lace the buckle and so forth. This suits me fine up through my heaviest 26 pound belt used for skin-diving.

It is one of those things that can mess with your spatial relationships for a while.

Pete

Since I'm normally on a boat that's heaving I've learnt to do it one handed.
Hold on to something with my left hand.
Pick up the tail with the right hand - inside of belt facing left, look behind, swing it around and as soon as it touches your back, bend over so both ends are dangling down. You can then thread the tail through the buckle with your right hand.
Of course when conditions are really bad then I sit or even lie on the deck to don the belt. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom