Strange fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
Hiya folks

I just came back from Bali. During a dive at Menjangan Island's Pos 1, my buddy and I spotted a funny-looking fish. We were hanging around our safety stop, and suddenly this small fish (about 10cm long) wiggled its way into our sight.

The fish had petal-like dorsal, pectoral, and anal fins, and it was pure white with chocolate-brown spots scattered all over the centre of its body and the centre of each fin... It also swam in a funny way, it didn't look like it was swimming - it was wiggling around using its petal-like fins.

We watched this fish for about 10 minutes, and all the while it was minding its own business, scouring for food around an anemone. It was totally uncencerned that a strange fellow was blowing bubbles just half a metre away.

When we got to the surface, my buddy said it was probably a type of clownfish. (I've never seen such a leafy clownfish! It was about the size of an adult clownfish and it had rounded fins, but that's where the similarities end). However, when I got home I checked my fish ID book and just could not find it. I wish I'd had an UW camera ;-0

Can anybody help me identify this flowery fish? Not knowing anything about this weird and wonderful fish is driving me bonkers! :bonk: :bonk:

The description sounds like the juv. harlequin sweetlips. It has a very strange swimming pattern as well.:approve:

Back
Top Bottom