Best BC for the Buck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloloco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yes, I'm a noob as we call 'em on my car forums. I did a search on here and saw some great answers somewhat related to my topic. I felt instead of thread robbing though, I would start my own :wink:

I am new to diving and am hitting the ground running. The first big purchase I would like to get is my BC. My budget is on the low side only because I know I will end up getting nicer the more I dive and with several friends getting into the sport I know I'll have no problem passing on my first-time buys.

I have found several models in my price range from the Sheerwood Silhouette to the Oceanic Oceanpro and Aeris Atmos XT. So many choices, so little time (yes, I'm tired of hiring out sketchy rental gear). I like jacket style more so than back inflate.

About me: I'm 6' 215# and broad shouldered.

Thanks in advance!

Let the opinions fly...you might wish you didn't ask...hahaha...

Good Luck

You should look at this orange beast!
Rip Tide BCD (Very Orange!), BCDS: Men, ScubaToys, Rip Tide BCD (Very Orange!)

Seriously, I think you should talk to Scubatoys and see what they can do for you.

Out of the three you mentioned, I would say the Atmos XT. But you should really try them on, if you can, and see what fits you the best. That's really what it will come down to.

Good luck!

:zen:

The oceanpro definitly will give you some nice features for the price. Oceanic also has another BC coming out soon, its called the CRUZ, similar to when they had the FLEX, basically it will be a BC that will go right in the middle between the Oceanpro and the Probe LX on features and price. Oceanic has great BC's imo, i work for a shop that sells, Oceanic, Sherwood, Aqualung, Seaquest, i choose to wear an Oceanic bc out of all those choices.

Ah man you guys rock! See, my forte is anything to do with automotive so I knew there had to be some of you like me in this industry. I must also say that divers, like gearheads, are one of the coolest group I have every met.

I like Zeagle, since some come in a two piece design. You can get the waist in a different size than the shoulder part. The best part is, it is not priced any different to do this. I know the Zeagle Stiletto is is done this way, not sure if the Escape is as well. Not sure if the Stiletto is more than you are looking for. Scubatoys.com has a version they only sell called the Brigade which is a cross of the Stiletto and Ranger. I'm sure the Ranger is more than what you want to spend.

The best piece of advice is really to try ones in your price range on and see whats comfortable. I prefer back inflate so I don't feel my ribs being squeezed. Others may find the jacket style to be more comfortable. Aeris and Oceanic are both good companies so try them on and if possible pool test them.

I've dove with a lot of bc's. My best of the best:1) stainless back plate and wing. 2) scubapro stab jacket. Which i dive depends on what kind of diving i'm doing, single tank or doubles. I dive a drysuit, other than when i'm freediving for abalone. My point is....... do a lot of research on bc's, try as many on as you can,dive with as many as you can, talk to experienced divers- what bc are they diving with. And the list can go on and on and on!!! don't buy the cheapest bc that you can find. SPEND THE MONEY 1 TIME!!!!! buy the best that you can possibly afford, you Will be glad that you did!

I agree with abman....to go out and buy something dictated by cost rather than wait a bit longer and getting something that will grow with you is setting yourself up for more expense in the long run. I am surely biased, but for the money, Zeagle. Why?

Quality of the BC, customer service is beyond reproach, they will customize for you, (i.e. putting the weight release as a left hand pull instead of a right hand) at no charge, lifetime warranty as long as you have it serviced, and on and on.

BPW is another route...and I have one, but I find I dive the Zeagle more. Depending on the model, (I have a 911) you can put a backplate on it and dive doubles, or put the tank bands on and dive singles. Pretty versatile BC.

It really boils down to personal choice and what fits you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom