Uwatec battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chipster

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question here. I was looking a purchasing a used Uwatec Air X Nitrox ( not a recall one) So I called a distributor, with regards to replacing the batery, I was told they no longer make the battery for this unit and it is NFG once the battery life runs out. I then asked if this would be the case for the new ones on the market, that once a newer version comes out that they would discontinue making batteries for them as well. He said possibly.

I know these are supposed to be one of the best computer out there, but why would any one buy one if 4 years after they stopped making a particular model you coud not get a replacement battery for them. If I am wrong on this, please give me someone to contact, as I am know no longer interested in the Uwatec units. It seems kind of strange that one would even have to send unit back for replacement.:(

chipster once bubbled...
I have a question here. I was looking a purchasing a used Uwatec Air X Nitrox ( not a recall one) So I called a distributor, with regards to replacing the batery, I was told they no longer make the battery for this unit and it is NFG once the battery life runs out. I then asked if this would be the case for the new ones on the market, that once a newer version comes out that they would discontinue making batteries for them as well. He said possibly.

I know these are supposed to be one of the best computer out there, but why would any one buy one if 4 years after they stopped making a particular model you coud not get a replacement battery for them. If I am wrong on this, please give me someone to contact, as I am know no longer interested in the Uwatec units. It seems kind of strange that one would even have to send unit back for replacement.:(

Try contacting scubapro or uwatec direct and see what they say www.scubapro.com or www.uwatec.com Personally i think your dealer is misleading you.

These are the links I used and I contacted the one listed for Canada, and that is the info I received. Will try to contact somene in the good old USA. Hope I do find differing info.

Battery replacement depends on the model. I have an *old* Monitor3 that was marketed by US Divers and that has been replaced twice by Scubapro. They just send a refurbished unit that has a new battery and has been recalibrated. They have now dropped this model, so the one I have is the last. But they will also upgrade me to a new Nitrox AirZ for $450.

I also have an Aladdin Sport that I changed the battery myself. Just depends on what you have, but IMO, the dealer is full of crap.

MD

Here is a Quote from Scuba Pro..........

In regards to batteries, the Aladdin Air X battery cannot be replaced at all as it has been discontinued. Original Air X warranty holders are able to upgrade to the Aladdin Air Z for minimal cost.
Aladdin Air Z original owners have lifetime battery replacement for free.

...... above quote is directly from Scuba Pro

So because they no longer make a battey available I/we have incur an expense to upgrade (upgrade to the Aladdin Air Z for minimal cost.)
So if they discontinue the battery for the X, what is to say they will not discontinue the battery for the Z, say when they come out with a Y.

Mech Diver

Even you said your self Mechdiver that this is the last time you can replace the battery and then its NFG.

Maybe I should upgrade my car because I cannot get an alternator for it any more, because they disontinued it after only being off the market for 4 years. Or the tires are worn out, and they dont make my size anymore.

I wish it were different as I like there product but not with these bull*@#$ strings attached.

Brian

chipster once bubbled...

Mech Diver

Even you said your self Mechdiver that this is the last time you can replace the battery and then its NFG.

Brian

I bought my computer in 95 and they have replaced it twice, along with the transmitter once. I'd say that was reasonable. If it dies again, I will decide what to do then.

MD

Thats great that they replaced it.
So if my battery dies, I send it out ( now I am without computer) and Scuba Pro will replace unit as long as it is not discontinued, and and and you are the original owner.
That leaves anyone buying a used one out of luck, which also makes anyone trying to sell their used Uwatec computer, in my mind with a very low resale value. Only origanl owner will get free battery replacements or like I keep on stressing until they decide to disontinue battery.

I think I will go back to my original search, which is Suunto. At least I can go get a battery at the local WallyMart. Do not have to worry about shipping it out$$$$$$ and being without my computer.

Sorry, Uwatec has an excellent product, but the battery thing is out of touch with consumers. Should not have to send it back to Distributor to get it replaced. Thats almost like extortion to me.

Look we will sell you the product but unless you spend money and ship it back to us.... :bonk: its just will stop working some day.

Hi there!

Just digged old thread... So I'm looking for a computer (used one) from ebay. Do I understand well... If I gonna buy Aladin Air X Nitrox - I could not have batt. replacement, also I will be not enligible for replacement program (as I am not originall warranty holder, or even no warrant at all).

Am I right?

Wishes,
Chopin

I bought my computer in 95 and they have replaced it twice, along with the transmitter once. I'd say that was reasonable. If it dies again, I will decide what to do then.

MD

How do you replace the battery?

Safety philosophy and some UWatec history.

The user could not change the battery in the old computer because it is immersed in oil together with the electronics. The only thing connecting the electronics are the contacts on the front. The advantage of this is that you will NEVER EVER have a leaking computer, but you have to send the computer away when the battery is empty. Pressure sensors need to be calibrated regularly to be accurate and UWatec used to do that as part of the service.

The new Galileo line is compromise between letting the customer change battery and having the electronics sealed.

The battery in UWatec is a special lithium thionyl battery and Li-SOCl2 is the primary battery technology with the highest energy density on the market. An Uwatec computer can run for years without battery replacement.

The old UWatec computers had 2 ASICs(application specific integrated circuits) inside. One is for measurement and the other one for wireless transfer. At that point in time it was necessary to build all pieces of the computer from scratch to ensure a long enough life. If you would like to design a custom ASIC today you need a volume of 500k/a and it doesn't make sense to do it any more. This also made the computers costly, but from an electronics engineering point of view the design is as nice as it gets. The design with 2 separate LCD:S also made the computer very expensive.

Today the average time that an electronics component is manufactured is getting shorter and shorter. Don't expect life beyond 7 years without stocking components.

Niclas
Used to be a dive computer engineer(many years ago)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom