Dome Port Basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I get some of the ideas of a dome port, things appear closer, its a virtual image where infinity can be very close. However, that really doesn't tell me the practical uses of dome ports. I've seen some suggestions on using a dome for close up shots, but the discussion was vague on what lens they were using. I'm guessing only very close focusing lenses make sense with a dome, which points to wide angle lenses, which fortunately the physics works well with.

Can anyone point me at anything that explains dome ports a bit better.

Bob, to better answer your question and to provide some helpful links, what exactly are you trying to achieve and what lenses are you considering?

If you head over to wetpixel.com and do a search I recall there have been a number of discussions on close up wide angle shots behind a dome. Alex Mustard has had a lot of success with closeup wide angle shots with the Tokina 10-17 fisheye. As a fellow owner of that lens, I can attest it can focus right up to your dome port... (lighting gets tricky though!) I think Alex discussed the Tokina in the July issue of UWP (download here).

As for dome theory and all the math behind it... you might find this helpful.
Dome Theory :: Wetpixel.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom