Gear Stolen - getting new and need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior2725

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I previously had the Canon 20D with 10-22mm lens and 100mm macro for underwater. I use ikelite to house my camera. Everything was stolen including all my lenses and housing. I still have my two DS-125 strobes, 8in dome and port bodies. Anyway, I have decided to switch to the Nikon D300. I will get the ikelite housing for it, but I am at a small quandary for which lenses to get. I think I have decided to get the 105mm macro Nikon VR lens and the Tokina 10-17mm lens. My main hunt has been which wide angle lens to get. At first I looked at the Nikon 12-24mm but after searching on here, it seems most people were not happy with that lens underwater. Then I looked at the Sigma 10-20mm lens, but I wouldn't be able to use the zoom underwater with the ikelite port system. So then I came upon the Tokina 10-17mm lens. Does anyone have any other recommendations or does this seem good. I will also get the Nikon 18-200mm lens for kinda an all around topside lens. I had insurance on everything, so it looks like this upgrade will cost me about $1000.00.

Edit: Also what are your thoughts on imported lenses from B&H or USA lenses. Are they really the same lens?

Junior where on earth was your gear stolen from? I am so sorry to hear about that. That truly blows. As for lenses, I know nada, sorry.

Junior where on earth was your gear stolen from? I am so sorry to hear about that. That truly blows. As for lenses, I know nada, sorry.

It was taken last week from my car. Luckily almost everything was insured. Lost my new Tamrac bag and GPS system - not on the insurance policy among a few other small items. I am very impressed with my insurance, after faxing police report on Friday, they called today and check will be in the mail tomorrow. Thanks for the sympathy. I am trying to look at the bright-side and upgrade my equipment. It's going cost me and I won't get as many lenses as I had, but the camera will be better.

It was taken last week from my car. Luckily almost everything was insured. Lost my new Tamrac bag and GPS system - not on the insurance policy among a few other small items. I am very impressed with my insurance, after faxing police report on Friday, they called today and check will be in the mail tomorrow. Thanks for the sympathy. I am trying to look at the bright-side and upgrade my equipment. It's going cost me and I won't get as many lenses as I had, but the camera will be better.

Were you at a dive site or...? Always best to look at the bright side. Hey you can always also laugh at me. I have "drifted" a couple of cameras to Texas :doh:

Were you at a dive site or...? Always best to look at the bright side. Hey you can always also laugh at me. I have "drifted" a couple of cameras to Texas :doh:

No it was taken from my house. I had grabbed my whole bag because I needed to take some pics at the vets office to update the website I made, and I forgot to take the stuff out of my car when I came home. I should have just taken what I needed to the vets, and of course remembered to bring it back in the house. We always have to learn lessons the hard way I guess. Hopefully, I don't have any drifting cameras in the near future.

Junior,

Check out the forum at nikonians.org. There is a lot of information there for nikon owners (and prospective nikon owners) for lenses, cameras, and more. They even have an underwater forum.

Ron

Not sure what bad things you have read about the 12~24mm, but IMO it's a great lens for both UW, and topside use.

The Tokina 10~17mm is a fisheye, and IMO somewhat limited topside.

The 18~200mm is a great walk about lens, but can not be used UW.

I would avoid grey market lenses unless you are really saving some serious cash (generally not). Nikon won't work on non-USA lenses in the US, so you have to send them to the country they were intended to be sold in if you want Nikon Authorized service.

Normally that is not much of an issue, but with the latest/greatest lenses with features like VR getting parts is an issue if something does need repair. Based on what I've read only Authorized Nikon Service Centers can get their hands on parts to repair VR and AF-S.

Not sure what bad things you have read about the 12~24mm, but IMO it's a great lens for both UW, and topside use.

The Tokina 10~17mm is a fisheye, and IMO somewhat limited topside.

The 18~200mm is a great walk about lens, but can not be used UW.

I would avoid grey market lenses unless you are really saving some serious cash (generally not). Nikon won't work on non-USA lenses in the US, so you have to send them to the country they were intended to be sold in if you want Nikon Authorized service.

Normally that is not much of an issue, but with the latest/greatest lenses with features like VR getting parts is an issue if something does need repair. Based on what I've read only Authorized Nikon Service Centers can get their hands on parts to repair VR and AF-S.

Ron,

I figured as much as far as the imported lenses. I have always avoided them in the past. Here are a few thoughts I had seen on here regarding the Nikon 12-24mm lens

"I have the 12-24 Nikon lens and it is the least used and least favorite lens. I have been using my 10.5 and my Nikon 16mm for wide angle.

The 12-24 while flexible, just does not get crisp images UW in many cases even with a +2 diopter."

"The 12-24 most certainly have the optic edge on land, but getting it to work behind a domeport is a different story."

"The 12-24mm needs a big dome, and usually an ext ring and diopter to get sharp pics, while the Tokina is usually an easier setup and you can still get sharp shots with a smaller dome. "

Ron - do you have the 12-24mm lens and if so what kind of port system do you use?

Ron,

"I have the 12-24 Nikon lens and it is the least used and least favorite lens. I have been using my 10.5 and my Nikon 16mm for wide angle.

The 12-24 while flexible, just does not get crisp images UW in many cases even with a +2 diopter."

"The 12-24 most certainly have the optic edge on land, but getting it to work behind a domeport is a different story."

"The 12-24mm needs a big dome, and usually an ext ring and diopter to get sharp pics, while the Tokina is usually an easier setup and you can still get sharp shots with a smaller dome. "

Ron - do you have the 12-24mm lens and if so what kind of port system do you use?

I am a bit surprised to read this. I do have the 12~24 (Tokina). I use it with the Ikelite 8" dome port, and I don't use a diopter. A diopter is not necessary, the lens focuses close enough to avoid using one.

Honestly, I use my 60mm macro, and my 18~35mm more often than the 12~24mm. This is mainly because one needs really good vis and light to do landscape style shots with that lens. But I don't have problems getting clear images with the lens UW.

Comments like adding diopters, and extension rings make me wonder what type of dome they are using, and if the extension on the port is the correct length.

Here is a comment off the same thread you pulled most of the negative comments.
jarhead:
I have found that I almost never find a use for a fisheye lens topside, but my 12-24 is one of my favorite lenses for landscape shots.

The 12-24mm is also a very nice "shark" lens, meaning it allows me to fill the frame alot easier with that sort of a subject than I can with the fisheye. Many of my sharks look like minnows when I shoot with the 10-17mm.

I would hate to have to pick one or the other, in the galapagos this past december, I used each lens about equally.

Opinions are subjective, but after reviewing most of the comments in the thread you pulled, most users that are complaining about the 12-24mm purchased it, and then got rid of it almost immediately in favor of something else.

Good luck with the decision. I know these choices are not easy to make! The up side is that you can always purchase additional lenses! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom