How deep do sea birds dive? 2/24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssflounder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A buddy and I burned 2 tanks at a nearshore reef off of Hilton Head this Sunday. Vis was about 15-20 feet. Surface temp. 59 bottom @ 54' was 55 degrees. We saw the usual fish around the structures but while we were securing the anchor a bird flew by us!!! I've fished around here for the past 15 years and have seen them dive to 15 or so ft but we were both pretty surprised to see it swimming by at 54'. It stayed under for quite awhile trying to catch a meal. (I might have to talk to my dive shop and see what they are putting in our tanks).

Also, the fish ID book is incorrect in the "reaction to divers" describing a Carolina Hake. I was a little curious seeing a fish with little legs so we watched it for awhile. After flashing my speartip he proceded to bite the end and try to take it from me. We left him in his hole but were both surprised. Glad it wasn't my finger.

Emperor penguins dive deeper than any other bird. Most of their dives are between 100 and 200 m but occasionally they go a lot deeper. The deepest dive on record was an incredible 565 m deep!! The penguin had been diving to over 450 m quite regularly until it finally reach this enormous depth!

NOTE: The above are METERS!!! Wow! And no deco.

Some species of Cormorant dive to as much as 45 meters. I see the ones around here going to 15 feet or so and coming up with eels and fish.

I've heard the same thing regarding Cormorants - about 150'.

Some birds are much better designed for swimming and diving and Cormorants are close to the top of the heap in regard to aquatic birds that can still fly.

Coots are at the other ed of the spectrum and are much less well adapted to diving aand swimming with 15-20 feet being more the norm.

I concur with the 150 ft for cormorants. Personally I've seen them at depths of 100 ft, and filmed one for several minutes at a depth of 65 feet. On the other hand, I've seen fat sea gulls who could barely break the surface!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom