The Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know they're not as sexy as the rebreather, or as life changing as the backplate system, but ... do we have an answer on this question about the lights yet? That Dive Rite light is calling to me and I'm not going to be able to hold out much longer ....

Any specs on the can lights? How many lumens does the 3x3 LED throw. I'm looking at the DiveRite 500 lumen LED. Should I wait for the Hollis?

Hi Bogrady,

Thanks for the questions.

Our 3x3 light head utilizes three 3watt LED's. Typically, 3w led's each have an output of between 80-100 lumen. Combined with a high quality reflector ours has a total output of 375 Lumen. (FYI, when measuring Lumen, the international standard is the 1 meter (3.28ft) between the reflector and color meter sensor).

We also utilize a 9a/h Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack which on a full charge has a burn time of approximately 10hrs. With alkaline, you have a longer burn time because the power of the LED is not constant. It is reduced in function to the voltage of the battery. Depending on battery size, after 2-3 hrs the power/lumens will be approximately 30% less. And after 5 hrs, the power/lumens will be approximately 50% less. With NiMH, the power is constant throughtout the charge. And while the voltage is similar in both battery types, you really begin to notice the difference after a few hundred cycles and the $$$ you will save not having to switch out batteries constantly.

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF
This link shows the typical and maximum lumen emission value based upon our 3w LED (Luxeon pn: lxhl-pw09). I urge you to gather the same information from other light manufacterers before making your final decision and purchase.

Hope this helps,

Nick - It helps ALOT! Thanks for the information and the guidance. I will make sure I do the valid side by side comapison before I purchase.

Another question of the philosophical type if you might have the time - do you see the LED light overtaking/replacing the lower wattage (10W) HID any time soon? The color temps are close, the lumens are getting there and the burn times and reliability is bettter. Are we going to see a transition in the market?

Nick - It helps ALOT! Thanks for the information and the guidance. I will make sure I do the valid side by side comapison before I purchase.

Another question of the philosophical type if you might have the time - do you see the LED light overtaking/replacing the lower wattage (10W) HID any time soon? The color temps are close, the lumens are getting there and the burn times and reliability is bettter. Are we going to see a transition in the market?

No worries. I was happy this info was readily available because it really shows great technical data of our LED's.

In regards to the HID vs. LED issue. Absolutely. We feel that in regards to the 10W HID especially, there could be a potential shift towards LED instead. All of the above including the price are becoming the major players in that battle. But as always it will ultimately come down to diver preference.

I have 2- 3x3 LEDs coming in and should be in next week :D....Left Cali on Wednesday

Price: $269.50

I have the description on my website(well Im doing it after I type this) and Im just waiting on a pic for you guys :wink:

edit:
Here is a link:
Dive Right In Scuba

Back
Top Bottom