polespears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chatfouz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
going from advice i got from the forum to start learnin with a polespear. ill start with that. however i have to admit i am seriously confused. I honestly cant find one, least not one that cost less that 60$. are they seriously that expensive, a stick with a rubber band on the end? is there a better place to pick one up? i figured they be cheaper around 20$. am i better off making one?

I made the first one I ever had. Worked good.
The last store bought one I had was around 25 bucks.

i have another question. i found a shop that sells em cheap in my hometown. amazingly. really didnt expect decent prices in the middle of texas... but they have spears from 4ft to 7ft. the difference is about 10$... i know enough physics to comfortably guess the larger longer spear equals more force but what size is for what? i would like the option of doing 'some' marine hunting, still nothing larger than 20lbs. is 4 ft fine? 5ft? or if its the same price why not and just get a huge 7ft pole?

If you can use a 4' polespear effectively in the gulf you are a far better hunter than I. The 7' would be great for AJs and flounder in the gulf, I can't speak to how well it will work in fresh water. One thing to remember with a polespear is to lock your arm when you release you hand, firing the spear. Otherwise the spear will push your arm back and rob energy from the forward momentum of the polespear. Also, spiraling the powerband down the poles shaft will keep the fiberglass pole from flexing and make your shots more accurate.

i have another question. i found a shop that sells em cheap in my hometown. amazingly. really didnt expect decent prices in the middle of texas... but they have spears from 4ft to 7ft. the difference is about 10$... i know enough physics to comfortably guess the larger longer spear equals more force but what size is for what? i would like the option of doing 'some' marine hunting, still nothing larger than 20lbs. is 4 ft fine? 5ft? or if its the same price why not and just get a huge 7ft pole?

Go with the longer one. Unlike a speargun, with a pole spear you are spearing at close range and many fish will not let you get that close. When you pull the band back you will appreciate the additional reach that you have when approaching a fish. I know it might sound easy but a 20 pound fish is going to give you a run for your money with a pole spear but it can certainly be done. For fish this size I try to encourage the fish to seek shelter under a ledge and then go for a kill shot. You really want a kill shot on a 20 pound fish when using a pole spear. I like the paralyzer tip because it will easily penetrate the bony head which helps facilitate a kill shot. When using a paralyzer tip it is especially important to pin the fish down immediately after spearing and grab the fish ASAP.

I am a huge fan of using a pole spear, myself :).
Good luck!
-Chris

Back
Top Bottom