xs scuba advantage bcd -- opinions? (and rib/injury question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to start PADI certification and decided to get my own gear. The LDS is recommending the XS Scuba Advantage BCD.

Any opinions? From what I hear, XS scuba seems to be "good stuff." I do specifically want back-inflation, and integrated weights.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a slightly related topic, wondering if anyone has ever experienced/heard of the following? In August, I was doing some intro/discovery dives in Maui. I had a wrap-around BCD. They had us inflate the BCD's before we waded out into the water, to put on our fins. As I was bent over, pulling on one of my fins, I guess a wave or something pushed me off balance -- but all of a sudden there was an excruciating pain in my side, which I thought at the time was just a pulled muscle. It was bad enough that I could no longer bend enough to get my fins on, but had someone help me. I did a bunch of dives over the next 2 days -- i was fine if I was "stretched out" but bending over hurt really badly.

After getting back from vacaction, this persisted for long enough (6-7 weeks) that I'm now convinced I somehow bruised or cracked a rib! So here's what I know:

(a) I didn't hit a rock -- no rocks around in the water.
(b) I don't *think* i could have been banged against my tank -- it's on my back, right, not on my side?
(c) That leaves --- the BCD being too tight -- i.e. dangerously clamping on my ribs or something -- and somehow getting bumped into it just wrong?

I'm assuming now that I just totally over-inflated my BCD -- that far less air still would have been enough to float, and you shouldn't feel it tightening in on your ribs when you inflate it -- but being a newbie, what did I know?

Well, sorry for the long-winded rambling, but if you've got an opinion on what happened, I'd be happy to hear it -- cracking/bruising a rib while diving is an experience i don't wish to repeat (and in retrospect, i was possibly an idiot for continuing with the dives anyway).

So with all that, i'm pretty convinced back inflation is the way to go!

I'm going to start PADI certification and decided to get my own gear. The LDS is recommending the XS Scuba Advantage BCD.

Any opinions? From what I hear, XS scuba seems to be "good stuff." I do specifically want back-inflation, and integrated weights.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a slightly related topic, wondering if anyone has ever experienced/heard of the following? In August, I was doing some intro/discovery dives in Maui. I had a wrap-around BCD. They had us inflate the BCD's before we waded out into the water, to put on our fins. As I was bent over, pulling on one of my fins, I guess a wave or something pushed me off balance -- but all of a sudden there was an excruciating pain in my side, which I thought at the time was just a pulled muscle. It was bad enough that I could no longer bend enough to get my fins on, but had someone help me. I did a bunch of dives over the next 2 days -- i was fine if I was "stretched out" but bending over hurt really badly.

After getting back from vacation, this persisted for long enough (6-7 weeks) that I'm now convinced I somehow bruised or cracked a rib! So here's what I know:

(a) I didn't hit a rock -- no rocks around in the water.
(b) I don't *think* i could have been banged against my tank -- it's on my back, right, not on my side?
(c) That leaves --- the BCD being too tight -- i.e. dangerously clamping on my ribs or something -- and somehow getting bumped into it just wrong?

I'm assuming now that I just totally over-inflated my BCD -- that far less air still would have been enough to float, and you shouldn't feel it tightening in on your ribs when you inflate it -- but being a newbie, what did I know?

Well, sorry for the long-winded rambling, but if you've got an opinion on what happened, I'd be happy to hear it -- cracking/bruising a rib while diving is an experience i don't wish to repeat (and in retrospect, i was possibly an idiot for continuing with the dives anyway).

So with all that, I'm pretty convinced back inflation is the way to go!

A couple of other options to consider relative to back inflate/hybrid BCs are the following:

Aeris ATMOS LX
ScubaPro KnightHawk

The Aeris ATMOS LX is mostly back inflate with a small side inflation are that keeps you upright on the surface.

The ScubaPro KnightHawk BC is a pure back inflate BC

I have owned both BCs and prefer the Aeris ATMOS LX. It fits me better and allows me to stay more upright on the surface while still maintaining the an uncluttered from with the benefits of back inflation.

There are other back inflate BCs out there but I have personal experience with both of these BCs.

My wife and daughter on the other hand both have ScubaPro LadyHawk BCs and love them.

You might what to also consider a Riptide Zone II BC. It is a back inflate BC and you have the option of putting a back plate in it. My brother has one and likes it.

Back
Top Bottom