Question for you BP/W divers out there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Desert Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting ready to do my IDC and I don't know about doing it with my BP/W setup. I would like to get a BCD that acts/feels like a BP/W, but since I have only been diving with my BP/W I have nothing to compair to. Do any of you BP/W divers out there own a BCD, if so which one(s) and why?

Thanks for you help!

Adam

Why would you want to do your IDC in anything other than what you are most comfortable diving?

Why would you want to do your IDC in anything other than what you are most comfortable diving?

I just was not sure if it acceptable to do it in a BP/W and a 7ft.primary. It is one of those questions that I've got to my instructor about.

cant see the BP/W being an issue, but i dont know. if the 7 footer is a concern switch out the hose for a shorter one. be cheaper.

I'd forget about trying to duplicate the feel of your BP with a standard BC, I don't think it's possible. Instead, maybe consider why you're using a standard BC, and I would guess the reason has something to do with comfort and extra buoyancy at the surface, convenience for demonstrating to students, etc. If that's the case, I think you're looking for a regular jacket style BC. You could modify it, maybe take out the stupid cummerbund, simplify the harness if possible.

I'm thinking about this same thing for my DM course next summer. I'm dragging along my old SP standard BC, only I was able to completely remove the cummerbund and replace it with a standard web belt. I'm even threading a few weights right on the belt. I'm also removing padding on the shoulder straps wherever I can. So I should have a set up that works really well for assisting with OW classes in which you spend alot of time at the surface helping out the students, and is somewhat less annoying to actually dive with.

Back
Top Bottom