Traveling with gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickPeck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What do you think is the lightest and smallest packing BC setup?

Alum. BP/W or Transpak or something else?

I want to reduce the gear weight I have to schelp around. I don't want this to turn into a BP/W vs BCD conflagration. Strictly weight and packing is what I'm interested in for the recreational traveling diver.

And "no", I don't want to rent....

Thanks,

Rick

DSS do a nice light Kydex BP which helps keep the weight down!

if you are going for more tropical locations, aside from the kydex DSS BP you would get one of their travel wings or one of the torus 17lbs wings. This combo would be very light and small to pack.

Or you could contact Tobin and see if he would be willing to cut a Kydex plate in too and add locking hinges. Then you could fold the plate in two and make it even smaller. If you could use Titanium hinges that would cut down on the weight too... okay I am lost my mind apparently... I can't believe I actually edited a post to add this nonsense.

Well I know the 9lb stainless plate and 4lb stainless STA I am taking to mexico is causeing me to pay an overweight bag charge so I can say for sure that stainless is not the way to go if you are trying to save weight...

in all seriousness I dont see much difference weight wise but I can say I prefer the 1 piece harness on a real plate plus that plate will add rigidity and protection to your luggage so if it was me ordering another plate or bc I would go aluminum but the transpack is a good alternative.

I traveled to Bonaire last week. Took my steel plate and wing, double reg set up, mask, comp, BT, boots and back up lights in one carry on. Wetsuit, primary light, and clothes went into checked baggage along with my camera. No overweight fees, easy to carry, and everything I needed fit in two bags. One checked and one carryon. I used the same setup to go to monterey in July except dry suit instead of wet. Again no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom