BCD Size??? help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlohaMatt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK... How do you know exactly what size BCD to buy? :confused:

I just bought one, but I am unsure whether it is the proper size and just want some help before I get it wet... I am 6'3" with a 34" waist and 44" chest. I guessed a medium in Seac Sub Pro 2000. The BCD seems to fit, however I feel I am right on the cusp. Would moving into a Large be too much? I can't try one on as there are hardly any shops in my area and they don't carry Seac...

Should it fit snug or loose?

Where should the cummerbund be? around your hips, belt line or above the belt line?

The sternum strap - should it be at, above or below the nipple line?

The shoulder straps - How far down should they come? Should the Velcro inflater restraint be on the shoulder or off the shoulder?

Should the pockets be in the front or on my sides?

Any pics of a properly fitting BCD would help.

Thank you for the help!!!

Aloha

This is why you need to travel if necessary to find one that fits. Unfortunately what seems to fit in the shop may be lousy in the water. I have 3 jacket bcs at the present time by 3 different manufacturers. All are medium according to the tab. None are the same size and none fit the same. Pockets on most bc's suck anyway. They are one of the more inconvenient features IMO due to their placement. Better to glue thigh pockets onto your suit or get the Dive Rite thigh pockets that slip onto a weight belt or harness and fasten around the thigh. The only BC you can get that will be a GUARANTEED FIT is a BPW. Why, because you fit and adjust it to you. Your other questions about where things should be are subjective as well. It all depends on the manufacturer, style, type, your body type, style of diving, and what you expect it to do for you. As well it needs to be comfortable, fit well, not have useless stuff hanging on it, and everything should be where you can access it with your eyes closed after diving it a few times. Properly fitting? Again, properly to who?

Back
Top Bottom