Warm water Lobster gloves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trey9123

Registered
Reaction score
I live in South Carolina and am pretty new to diving. I'm planing a road trip down to the keys, and thought that I might try my hand at lobstering while I'm down their. I was just wondering what everyone thought were the best warm water lobstering gloves out their. I am currently looking at the ONeill 1mm Explore Kevlar Gloves found at Buy Oneill Explore kevlar gloves 2392 with reviews at scuba.com and will probably get those unless someone changes my mind. If you think that their is a superior pair of gloves out their for my needs, let me know.
Thanks,
Trey

The old style all kevlar akonas are the best of you can find them. FYI you guys have plenty of big lobster and monster hogfish in SC. I doubt you can still track a pair down though so I'd go with the Oneils. But seriously, your local waters will yield way larger lobsters on a regular basis if you head to the breaks offshore.

I.......... I'm planing a road trip down to the keys, and thought that I might try my hand at lobstering while I'm down their.............

Like Pat said above (listen to him!), your lobsters in SC are huge and much different from south florida hunting.

If you are brave, you will be sticking your hand in holes to grab the bug by it's antenna knuckles to get it out of a hole if it backs up. The normal rough fabric gloves catch on the antenna barbs as you work down to grab the knuckles. It takes a smoother surface to slip down and get a firm grip. In Jupiter we like the Atlas Kevlar nitrile gloves with the green or blue palms to slip down the antenna's without hooking on the barbs. It won't stop an eel bite, (from personal experience), but if you want the bug, it's the only way get him out.

KV350-big.jpg

I'm from SC too, I just recommend going to any lowes and getting similar gloves to what Johnoly recommended. Last year I used the ones that looked like his, but they were gray and blue (yard gloves)...

they are telling you SC bugs are bigger, because they don't want us Carolina boys going down there stealing their share ;-)...

Not saying that SC's are bigger than Florida's as a whole, just bigger than in the Keys and it is less gas to run a boat to the breaks than drive to Florida for the same stuff. Although the Keys will be alot shallower.

Basically with gloves there are two schools of thought, cheap and easily replaceable or heavy duty. I have only had the akona all kevlar gloves last more than one season, they are at 3 actually. Sadly they aren't warm at all as water flows through quite easily.

Growing up in South Florida and doing the Lobster thing most of my life I found that the gloves don't really matter (to me at least). Your gloves are going to wear and they will start to rip at some point because as stated above you WILL be putting your hands in rocks to get them (unles you don't want the bug). You have to decide how much you want to pay for them. We have always used just basic dive gloves that I use all year and they don't cost much. If something happens to them who cares, not like I spent $50-$80 on them. This last year I was going diving and didn't have a pair of gloves so I grabbed my wake boarding/skiing gloves and they have worked awesome, now I use them all the time. They came from walmart and they were only about $10 and I didn't have any problems with the spiney lobster during last season. These gloves are pretty solid and are made to take some abuse. You will want a glove that fits snug and allows you to use your hands/fingers the best that you can along with using your net and/or tickle stick. Good luck with your decision but overall it is up to the person who wears them... Hope you get a bunch of bugs this year....

Thanks for all the advice guys. I picked up two pairs of those garden gloves for $3 a pair at Walmart yesterday. I haden't thought of those, but I think that they will work great. They fit snugly, and are extremely tough. I'll let everyone know how well they work.
Thanks,
Trey

Really? What's the big difference?

In south Florida, most seem to use a looper or tickle stick as the first weapon of choice to grab bugs quickly. In SC many use primarily hand grabs, not loopers.

In Jupiter, I can loop 3 times faster than a hand grab. Sometimes though a looper just won't work and you need to grab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom