Ningaloo - filefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was in the right place at the right time on my dives recently. Two file fish were engaged in some complex mating behaviour so I settled down to watch them for ages. Every now and again one of them would swim off and the remaining fish would work on the nest - gathering bits and pieces of weed. I didn't take many shots of the behaviour as I wasn't sure where their comfort zone was and I didn't want to encroach.

Eventually one of the fish wandered off and didn't return after two or three minutes of waiting. All the while the remaining filefish was busy fanning the nest, bringing more stuff to it and generally doing housekeeping. I crept forward over a matter of minutes and he/she didn't seem concerned at all.

filefishnesting2.jpg

filefishnesting1.jpg

filefishnesting3.jpg

Canon 20D, Canon 60mm macro, Subal housing & port, Inon 240 + 220s strobes
Dive site: Secret Spot #2 - 6m; Exmouth Gulf, Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia

Nice shots!

Great pictures! Was the fish making a nest out of that material he has in his mouth?

Very nice shots alcina! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for sharing excellent pictures.

Those are fantastic, Kristin. I love behavior shots, and you captured it really well without interrupting it. Bravo.

Great pictures! Was the fish making a nest out of that material he has in his mouth?

Yup, he/she would swim around, gather up various bits of weed and bring it back to the nest (you can see a portion of the nest in photos 1 & 2). Sometimes the fish would grab a bit of stuff start swimming back and then reject his choice, having to go back for a different piece. After adding another piece to the nest, the filefish would lay over on its side and fan it with its fins for a bit before nosing stuff around again. It was very involved. I spent more than 20 minutes with these guys, just watching.

Thanks, All - glad you liked them :D

Back
Top Bottom