Red Sea in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mert2003

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

My wife and I will be diving the south of Egypt in late April/to end of May. Are there any chances of us seeing Mantas and if so where? We intend to do a liveaboard, so if anyone has any recommendations we would appreciate it? Also, when is the best time for sharks? I understand that most likely it will be off the Brothers, but is May a good time to go? Thanks all.

Hi Mert2003

There is a great chance of spotting manats and Sharks, South of the Red Sea is amazing during that time of the year "late April/to end of May". Water will be temp is nice. But I can see that you have only 25-49 dives under your belt. If you want to dive on the brothers. Its recommended more dives than this. Check with the Diving center or the Liveaboard guide about this. There is a nice and tripe called "Simply The Best" Its amazing. it takes u to Brothers, zabargad and other islands in the Red Sea. I did it twice and the I like so much. my recommendation is to dive safe and have fun

I know the only work around for my 25 - 50 dives, but does anyone have another idea for sharks and mantas? We are both excellent swimmers, young, highly motivated, but inexperienced in terms of number of dives.

Any other place in the red sea we may be able to see the large fish?

For sharks, it's definitely the Brothers, then comes Elphinstone and St. Johns.

Simply the best is a liveaboard that takes you to the Brothers, Daedalus, and Elphinstone but not Zabargad. It's really nice. And yes there's an opportunity of spotting mantas during this time of the year.

For sharks, it's definitely the Brothers, then comes Elphinstone and St. Johns.

Simply the best is a liveaboard that takes you to the Brothers, Daedalus, and Elphinstone but not Zabargad. It's really nice. And yes there's an opportunity of spotting mantas during this time of the year.

I agree that the route is a good one, however you will need minimum AOW and 50 logged dives according to marine park rules in Egypt to be able to join such a trip. I know some say the rules are not enforced on all boats, but that would inmo prove that the owners/managers are into shady business.

cheers

I agree that the route is a good one, however you will need minimum AOW and 50 logged dives according to marine park rules in Egypt to be able to join such a trip. I know some say the rules are not enforced on all boats, but that would inmo prove that the owners/managers are into shady business.
cheers

Diving in this route is fun but they are not easy dives. These rules are just for your own safty.

Can you do any liveaboards in Egypt with less than 50 dives? I mean the boss and I have done 3 drift dives in the Coral Sea. I would think that should count for something. We just have limited time and want to dive as much as possible.

Can you do any liveaboards in Egypt with less than 50 dives? I mean the boss and I have done 3 drift dives in the Coral Sea. I would think that should count for something. We just have limited time and want to dive as much as possible.

Better talk to the orgenaisers first and if they think it is an issue, think of change the trip to daily dives from shore in an area such Dahab (which is a great place) and come back another time to such a liveaboard with more experiace {you will enjoy much more }.

any way - have fun and dive safty :)

So you're saying no. :( Oh well, we'll contact the operators in an attempt to get on somewhere.

Yes you can, there are plenty of liveaboards you can do with less experience. But the sites mentioned in previous posts, specifically Brother Islands, Dedalus Reef and also Rocky Island are part of a marine park program which has a set of criterions for visiting boats and divers. One is that divers should have a minimum of 50 dives and a certificate of AOW level or equvialent. I also believe that most operators require similar experience for Elphinstone reef. As Gehadoski said, it is for your own (and the reefs) safety. In some cases it may be silly, because you can of course be a competent diver with less dives, but I guess they just had to draw the line somewhere.
But, there are other diving areas in Egypt, like Ras Mohamed and Straits of Tiran, the Fury shoal and perhaps you can dive in the St. Johns area as well. Check with a few liveaboard operators like Emperor Divers, Sinai Divers, Oonas, Tony Backhurst... to see what itinerarys are available to you.

good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom