First attempt at U/W photography - advice appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
These are some picture from my first attempt at U/W photography. Background info: Total dives logged - 11 (still a new diver) Camera Nikon Coolpix L11 with ikelite housing and AF35 strobe. Location Maui March 1, 2008. There have been no photoshop changes to these pictures yet. (But obviously they need it!!!)

Scotttyd - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hopefully this link works, I have just signed up for photobucket while on my layover here in Phoenix. I know these are FAR from perfect, so please give me constructive advice. I do have average topside photography experience.

The yellow fish, obviously not at the right angle, but what is advice/comments on the coloring? I have quickly learned that swimming fish are nearly impossible to take a picture of (for me anyway).
Many of my pictures where out of focus/overexposed. I kept dialing down my strobe and it seemed as if anything over a 2 had the potential to overexpose, which I guess is what I will have to learn and adjust as I become more competant. As one goes deeper and has less and less natural light, do you need to dial up the exposure? (or am I wrong in thinking this?)

thanks in advance. Bye the way, Herman taught me all I know about u/w photography!!! (well at least what I could learn in 2 hours)

Nice. I am new to it as well and I see your other post about photoshop. I hope you don't mind i ran 2 of them through photoshop and just did auto level adjust to them to bring back some of the lost color. By the way I used to live outside of Raleigh in Cary/Apex area, nice area. I miss N.C. By the way these photoshops took 2 seconds each picture to do.

DSCN0412.jpg

DSCN0412-1.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0368-1.jpg

sasscuba,

Those look better after some processing. What exactly did you do? I just went to Aruba and took many pics, but my white balance is way off. It seems to be so far off that Elements couldn't fix it.

Thanks.

Hi Scotty,

You have a couple of good compositions. Looks to be that either you were too far out (turtle) or the strobe angle was off (shrimp). Sas beat me to PS but looks like you can clean them up a lot. I have it on my laptop if you want to get together and process them when you get home.

Travel Safe

I didn't use Photo Shop on this one, just three clicks with Microsoft office manager. Very basic stuff, but it sure makes a difference.

Attachments

• th_DSCN0419.jpg
    th_DSCN0419.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 22
  • th_DSCN04192.jpg
    th_DSCN04192.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 27
30 seconds with Picture manager.

Adjust colour: chose red colour and adjusted it a little up
Adjust Brightness and contrast: Midtones a little bit darker + a little more contrast

Attachments

• DSCN0412.jpg
    DSCN0412.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 41
Hi Scotty,

You have a couple of good compositions. Looks to be that either you were too far out (turtle) or the strobe angle was off (shrimp). Sas beat me to PS but looks like you can clean them up a lot. I have it on my laptop if you want to get together and process them when you get home.

Travel Safe

I think I will take you up on the offer, PM sent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom