Thoughts?! Newbie Dives in Upper / Middle Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Bon jour. Looking for some advice on what sites people would recommend in the Upper & Middle Keys areas that are suitable for newly certified divers. I know that there are a lot sites, but would love to get in some fantastic dives - so - let me know!

:thinkingo

Thanks in advance!
~ Sarah

Bon jour. Looking for some advice on what sites people would recommend in the Upper & Middle Keys areas that are suitable for newly certified divers. I know that there are a lot sites, but would love to get in some fantastic dives - so - let me know!
:thinkingo
Thanks in advance!
~ Sarah

In the Upper Keys (Islamorada up through Key Largo), Molasses, French, Davis, Crocker, Snapper Ledge, and Conch reefs are always winners.
This site will show how they are lined up geographically. Or you could just join the SB family for the invasion in mid-July.

It's always a good idea to let the charter op change the site if they feel you'll get a better experience at another location versus the one that's on the schedule.

Thanks. Looking to do one dive upper and one middle. Curious if anyone can tell me where Robbie's (tarpon) relative to the middle v. upper keys. I can't remember but would love to go back there. :D

Thanks. Looking to do one dive upper and one middle. Curious if anyone can tell me where Robbie's (tarpon) relative to the middle v. upper keys. I can't remember but would love to go back there. :D

Usually, there will be two dives per boat ride. As for "fantastic" sites, what interests you most - wrecks (Benwood), pretty reefs (Molassas), big fish (Conch), eels (Davis), etc.?

We would love to expose the new divers to both wrecks and reefs. Being unfamiliar with the area, I don't know which sites would be best for getting some great dives in. :(

If I have only one boat trip out of Key Largo, Snapper Ledge and Benwood would have to be on that trip. Especially if you dive with a camera. My perfect dive is Benwood wreck for macro photography and Snapper Ledge for "big" shots. Both are shallow with generous amounts of ambient light. You could spend an entire hour slowly circling Benwood finding tiny creatures. Snapper Ledge? Often so many fish you are surrounded by them. Don't even need a compass on the Ledge. Natural navigation. You just go down the ledge with that one fantastic brain coral on your left. And on the way back, it's on your right. As far as navigating on the Benwood...there is no need. Drop down 35 ft., circle and weave in and out of the wreck (it's just basically a skeleton) and pop up after one hour. The boat is right there.

Thanks Walter and Waynel! You've both given me some awesome information. Sounds like the Benwood is a definite!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom