Elderly Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What about that concept? What is considered an elderly diver? Anyone older than you? Anyone older than ME (heaven forbid!)?

I actually saw this line on another thread and thought that it is due some thought and discussion. I'm 48 years old now, and am just getting active in diving again after laying off for a number of years. How long can I expect to dive, and what kinds of health related issues should I be concerned with as I get older. I mean (whew) I've spent something in the order of $2000 on new gear in the last year or so, will I have time to wear it out? Over all my health is excellent and I'm training to run in a 10 mile race in August, but when do you know to stop diving? Anyone??? Anyone???

Hi There
Age is just a concept as long as you are fit and can pass a medical there is no reason you should not be diving.

I taught my mum or mom for you Americans to Dive over Christmas, is will be 56 this year. Her doc recommended an annual check from a certified Diving doctor.

The eldest I have taught to dive was a 72yo; the doctor wrote on his medical he had the fitness level of a 50yo.

High Blood pressure seems to be the enemy for older divers.

Hi Tom,

If you check my profile you can tell I'm a year older than you are. Well, I found myself asking the same question too. I do beach dive every weekend when conditions permit so I told my friends when I can't lift the tank over my head to don my BC it's about time to consider slowing it down a little bit. Meanwhile, enjoy it.

... when I can't lift the tank over my head ...
It's time to switch to HOOKAH when you can't lift the tank. :wink:

Like folks have said, as long as you're kicking, you can dive.

High blood pressure can be managed with meds, just be sure your doc knows to prescribe the appropriate version.

You might want to slack off on any severe deco diving though.

I just read an article (sorry, can't remember exactly where, but it was a reputable medical source) that reported on a study of older divers (specifically, their tolerance for an increased CO2 level). It concluded that age is (by itself), not a disqualifying condition. My dad dived until he was into his 70s and I intend to keep diving at least that long.

Rich

"Diving Found Safe For Older Divers"
11-February-2003 @ 10:49:25 PM

DURHAM, N.C. -- Recreational divers who continue to dive into their later years should be able to continue their hobby without worrying about being held back solely because of their age, say Duke University Medical Center researchers.

The scientists report in the February 2003 issue of the Journal of Applied Physiology that as long as older divers remain healthy, the gradual decline in pulmonary function that is a normal part of the aging process is not large enough to keep them out of the water.

Using Duke's research hyperbaric chambers, the researchers stimulated dives at a depth of 60 feet while taking complex measurements of the levels of gases in the bloodstream of both younger and older participants, at rest and during exertion. Specifically, the researchers sought to determine the effect of age on the body's ability to balance oxygen and carbon dioxide levels under the water pressures experienced during normal dives.

"One of the key questions was whether older divers retain carbon dioxide at high levels while diving," said lead author Heather Frederick, M.D., an anesthesiology resident at Duke. "We found that even at a depth of 60 feet with moderate exercise, healthy older people experience increased levels of retained carbon dioxide that was statistically significant from at the surface, but clinically insignificant compared to younger subjects.

"The bottom line is that healthy older divers should be able to continue diving safely," she said. "Because this is the largest such study of its kind, and the fact that with the hyperbaric chamber we were able to have rigorous control over multiple physiological variables, the results of this study should help older divers feel confident about diving."

The researchers point out that they were studying the effects of carbon dioxide retention in divers, and not the condition known as decompression sickness, or the "bends," which occurs when divers surface too quickly. As divers surface, the pressure of the water decreases, allowing the nitrogen in the breathing mix to leave the blood and tissues causing painful nitrogen bubbles.

Carbon dioxide retention is a major safety issue for divers, particularly during heavy exertion and with high breathing resistance either from the regulator or due to lung disease. Carbon dioxide retention can cause mental confusion, seizures and, in extreme instances, can lead to loss of consciousness while diving, the researchers said.

"The results of this study should provide reassurances that from the point of view of the lungs, diving is safe for older divers," said Richard Moon, M.D., senior member of the team and clinical director of the Duke Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Environmental Physiology. "Even while exercising, the older group performed very similarly in all measures as the young people. It was a real shock to me that they did just as well as the younger participants."

In their study, the researchers recruited 20 volunteers, with 10 ranging in age from 19 to 39, and another 10 ranging in age from 58 to 74. All divers had healthy lungs and hearts.

They then measured what is known as physiological dead space of all participants at rest and at two levels of exercise on an ergometer at both normal pressure and a pressure seen during dives of 60 feet. Diving depths of 60 feet are quite common among recreational divers.

Dead space is that part of the air inhaled in each breath that does not result in the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. Earlier studies at Duke have shown that increasing dead space contributes to high levels of hypercapnia, or increased carbon dioxide levels in the blood.

"We know that in general, the dead space increases with age, so the major question was whether or not diving at a depth of 60 feet would lead to increased carbon dioxide levels," Frederick explained.

"When compared to the young group, the older group did experience slightly higher dead space under all conditions, though this increase was not associated with an increase in arterial carbon dioxide," Frederick said. "The excellent performance of the older group on every other measure of lung function and exercise ability make it unlikely that older divers in good health would experience significantly greater increases in carbon dioxide at depths."

The research was supported by the Divers Alert Network, Durham, N.C.

Joining Frederick were Duke colleagues Bryant Stolp, M.D., Guy De L Dear, M.D., Owen Doar, Michael Natoli, Albert Boso, Jason Archibald, Gene Hobbs and Habib El-Moalem, Ph.D.

When I was taking my NAUI ITC in San Diego in 1973, I was told this story. A man in his 90's approached a diving instructor/trainer about becoming certified. The instructor was about ready to turn him down, when he explained that all he wanted to do was to go to the bottom of his pool to escape the grandkids and wife for awhile. He was trained, and issued a conditional certificate so he could get his tank filled.

SeaRat

PS--I'm planning on staying active in diving into my 80's and beyond.

When I did my Open Water course a couple years ago there was an elderly man in the class with us (he was probably about 75+) and he handled all the theory really well but when it came to inpool practice, he couldn't get used to the idea of breathing through your mouth only with the mask & regs on.

He ended up giving up despite us supporting him and encouraging, and he forfeited his $$$ as there was no refund provided by the dive shop for this sort of situation.

I always wonder what happened to that old guy and if he ever tried again....

I'd like to think that I'll still be diving well into my 70's, hopefully much longer!:doctor:

My first instructor three and a half years ago was 74, and although with a much lower profile I thinks he's still diving today, he started when he was in his early 60s.

While in the Maldives for the last couple of weeks, I met two gentlemen, one German, one Japanese, both of them 64, awesome divers.

I would never have guessed Mr Kanao(san)'s age until he showed me his passport, he has a great air consumption (he would usually come up with around 100 bars after one hour on a 10 liters tank when the others were at 50 bars in the best of cases) and he's a wonderful person.

I really hope to be able to dive with him again, just need to find some common ground as we live so far away from each other.

My dad is 60, though not quite a senior citizen. He learned to dive for the first time just 6 months ago. Now he has 12 dives under his belt, and with this little experience I can say he was many times better at managing every aspect of his dives than any of the instructors or divemasters we dove with in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Malibu or Catalina.

It was all up to him, he was determined, paced himself and now he is a solid diver. One of the biggest complaints of the elderly is that their shell of a body is not what it once used to be. But in the underwater weightless environment which helps them to cheat gravity - it can be like a renewed lease on life. I've seen many older folks in diving and I can say without bias elderly shmelderly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom